TO, The Answering Person, According to recent definations: the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol? Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it. Please consider and oblige Thanks a lot

TO,

The Answering Person,

According to recent definations:

the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol?

Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it.

Please consider and oblige

Thanks a lot

Grade:11

3 Answers

Prudhvi teja
83 Points
13 years ago

Dear Neel

In general molar mass is considered to be relative or average atomic mass. That means if any molecule has isotopes its average atomic mass is considered to be weighted mean of all of them.But atomic mass is only for a single isotope.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.we will get you the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Prudhvi Teja

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitia

Neel Pratik Bhatt
18 Points
13 years ago

So amu is nothing but grms/mol?

Srinivas Rao
11 Points
13 years ago

A dozen means 12.

A paper ream means 500 sheets.

Similarly, in chemistry, mole means 6.023 x 10 23   particles: they may be atomic or molecular or ionic.

The mass of  6.023 x 10 23   atoms turns out to be the atomic mass expressed in grams- called gram atom. So one mole of He is 4 grams or gram atom of He is of 4g.

The mass of  6.023 x 10 23   molecules turns out to be the molecular mass expressed in grams-called gram molecule. So one mole of H2O is of 18 grams.

So, the amount of a substance in grams that is numerically same as atomic weight or molecular weight  expressed in amu is called as a mole.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free