According to recent definations: the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol? Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it. Please consider and oblige Thanks a lot

According to recent definations:

the numerical value of a substance's molecular or atomic mass in atomic mass units is the same as that of its molar mass (the mass of one mole of that substance) in grams. So My question is : Is the Atomicmassunit (amu) nothing but grms/mol?

Please justify and explain a little bit about mole concept with an example as I am Having a difficulty even after having a class on it.

Please consider and oblige

Thanks a lot

Grade:11

1 Answers

ruchi yadav
askIITians Faculty 27 Points
10 years ago
  • The mass per mole of a substance is called itsmolar mass. Since the standard unit for expressing the mass of molecules or atoms (atomic mass unitor thedalton) is defined as 1/12 of the mass of a12C atom, it follows that the molar mass of a substance, measured in grams per mole, is exactly equal to its meanmolecularoratomic mass, measured in unified atomic mass units or daltons; which is to say, to the substance's meanmolecularorrelative atomic mass.
Thank You
Askiitians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free