How can a foreign student apply for IITs? It was announced in 2017 that the entrance exams will be held in SAARC countries too. So, do I ,as a foreign student , need to go through the same procedure as Indian students or is there a different approach ? If there is, how can I apply for IITs?

How can a foreign student apply for IITs? It was announced in 2017 that the entrance exams will be held in SAARC countries too. So, do I ,as a foreign student , need to go through the same procedure as Indian students or is there a different approach ? If there is, how can I apply for IITs?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Ashutosh Mohan Sharma
askIITians Faculty 180 Points
6 years ago
Yes they can. But it's not an easy process.

Earlier they used to have a separate admissions system for internationals (I believe they used the SATs, but I'm not sure), with higher fees. However, since this method of admissions was much less competitive than the normal method (the IITJEE), a lot of rich Indian students started to use the system to get an easy seat into an IIT using funds channeled through relatives living abroad- defeating the purpose of the process. Finally after reports of this rampant misuse spread- this program was scrapped (This funnel still exists in the NITs- the state tech schools- however).

Now, if an international wants to get into an IIT, he or she has to take the JEE like the Indian applicants, an exam that is conducted mostly only in India (I think it might be conducted somewhere in the middle-east as well though). Not only is it difficult to fly to India and take it- it's a hard paper well above the high-school level syllabi of most countries, with a selection rate of about 2%.

There's a specialized coaching/training system that exists in India just to give students a shot at clearing the paper. For a non-Indian it's going to be pretty damn hard to match these 'coached' students. But it's possible. There are a number of people with non-Indian citizenship that study in IITs despite this barrier (US/EU/Middle-East/Singapore etc). Most of these guys are of Indian origin and were living in India prior to the paper though.

If you just want to experience IITs and see what all the hype is about, I suggest you get into a good/top school in your own country (which will pretty much certainly be an easier prospect), and then contact the student exchange office at one of the IITs, and spend a semester there.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free