ADNAN MUHAMMED

Grade 12,

A particle is attached to one end of string the other end of which is fixed. The particle moves in vertical plane. The velocity at the lowest point is such that the particle can just complete the circle. The ratio of tension in string at A&B is

A particle is attached to one end of string the other end of which is fixed. The particle moves in vertical plane. The velocity at the lowest point is such that the particle can just complete the circle. The ratio of tension in string at A&B is

Grade:12th pass

2 Answers

Md Mushahid
21 Points
4 years ago
when an object of mass m which is fixed to an end of an inextensible and light rod
and revolving around a circular path about the other end,
weight of the object and tension in the rod are getting adjusted to provide centripetal force as shown in figure,

Let us consider when the object is at B, as shown in figure.
Centripetal force \frac{m\times v^{2}}{I} =T - mg\cos \theta
where T is tension in the rod, m is mass of object and θ is the angular dispalcement
when the vertical position is taken as reference.

When the object is at A, θ = 0. hence centripetal force \frac{m\times v^{2}}{I} =T - mg-------------2
When the object is at the top most position C, θ = π, hence centripetal force \frac{m\times v^{2}}{I} =T + mg............(3)

When the object is at top most position C, minimum required velocity vmin is obtained,
by considering tension in the rod T is zero.
when we apply this condition in eqn.(3), we get vmin = \sqrt{gl}

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
The Expression for Velocity of Body Moving in a Vertical Circle: Consider a small body of mass 'm' attached to one end of a string and whirled in a vertical circle of radius 'r'. In this case, the acceleration of the body increases as it goes down the vertical circle and decreases when goes up the vertical circle.
The ratio of tension would be = 2mg/8mg = 0.25

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free