What happens if a bar magnet is cut into two pieces: (i) transverse to its length, (ii) along its length?

What happens if a bar magnet is cut into two pieces: (i) transverse to its length, (ii) along its length?

Grade:8

5 Answers

Aditya Arora
34 Points
7 years ago
utpal raj
238 Points
7 years ago
The pole strength of each piece when a bar magnet is cut into two equal halves perpendicular to its length is the same as the pole strength of the original bar magnet. However, the magnetic moment of each piece is half the magneticmoment of the original bar magnet.
ABHIRUP SINHA
14 Points
6 years ago

The pole strength of each piece when a bar magnet is cut into two equal halves perpendicular to its length is the same as the pole strength of the original bar magnet. However, the magnetic moment of each piece is half the magneticmoment of the original bar magnet.

ABHIRUP SINHA
14 Points
6 years ago

The pole strength of each piece when a bar magnet is cut into two equal halves perpendicular to its length is the same as the pole strength of the original bar magnet. However, the magnetic moment of each piece is half the magneticmoment of the original bar magnet.it satisfies the condition for electromagnets...

Rishi Sharma
askIITians Faculty 646 Points
3 years ago
Dear Student,
Please find below the solution to your problem.

(¡) In both cases, we get two magnets, each having north and south poles
When the bar magnet is cut transverse to its length, the pole strength of each part is same as that of the original magnet but it's magnetic moment is halved because it's length is halved
(¡¡) When the bar magnet is cut along its length, the pole strength of each part is half the pole strength of the original magnets, so it's magnetic moment is also halved

Thanks and Regards

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free