Choose the group of incorrect statement formed from the following (i) The ammeter used to measure current in a circuit is to be connected in series. (ii) An ammeter should have very low resistance. (iii) An ammeter should have very high resistance. (iv) Connecting ammeter in series will not lead to any change in the current present before. a) (i) and (ii) b) (ii) and (iii) c) (iii) and (iv) d) (iv) and (i)

Choose the group of incorrect statement formed from the following
(i) The ammeter used to measure current in a circuit is to be connected in series.
(ii) An ammeter should have very low resistance.
(iii) An ammeter should have very high resistance.
(iv) Connecting ammeter in series will not lead to any change in the current present
before.
a) (i) and (ii) b) (ii) and (iii) c) (iii) and (iv) d) (iv) and (i)

Grade:

1 Answers

Saurabh Koranglekar
askIITians Faculty 10335 Points
3 years ago
An ammeter is connected in series with the circuitbecause the purpose of the ammeter is to measure the current through the circuit. Since the ammeter is a low impedance device, connecting it in parallel with the circuit would cause a short circuit, damaging the ammeter and/or the circuit.
It should be connected in series, so that maximum current can pass through it, for accurate measurement of current.
Its resistance is very low, if it is connected in parallel in a circuit, it will by the current, and current cannot be measured accurately.
If we do not connect the ammeter in series we will shunt the load, basically excluding the resistive element of the circuit.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free