What harmfull gases are produced when we burn plastics? And can we burn plastics?

What harmfull gases are produced when we burn plastics? And can we burn plastics?

Grade:10

11 Answers

Ashwin Muralidharan IIT Madras
290 Points
12 years ago

Hi Amin,

The toxic gaseous chemicals released during burning of plastic include nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), and polycyclic organic matter (POMs - a solid residue leftover). Burning plastic also releases heavy metals and toxic chemicals such as dioxin.

All of these would not be relased by burning plastic. It depends on the kind of plastic burnt.

PVC - poly vinyl chloride, releases HCl if it is burnt.

Hope it helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

assssssssss
13 Points
8 years ago
its releases nothing!
Aaditya Prasanth
26 Points
8 years ago
According To My Guess,
Its Carbon Monoxide,Carbon Dioxide and other gases
Sandeep murmu
13 Points
7 years ago
It releases many harmful gases like nitrogen oxides, sulphur dioxide and volatile organic chemicals and many other gases and etc.
Peter
11 Points
7 years ago
I`m doing a project, can someone help me, How to reduce those toxic contents when plantic are burnt Like sulphur, nitrogen etc
prateek
74 Points
7 years ago
nitrogen gas , sulphur dioxide ,carbon monoxide , carbon dioxide. are some of the gases. 
well burning plastic is not good for living things. but there are many other things that are more 
harmfull so we shuold focus on those things like girl education and terrorism.
Rachel Touthang
35 Points
6 years ago
well...many harmful gases are released while combusting polythenes and plastics as answered by all above it. but i have an idea for transforming or using those harmful gases into useful energies. i need your suggestions and ides my friends.
Dev
11 Points
5 years ago
Dioxins( the most toxic carcinogen know to mankind), furans, VOCs, Carbon Monoxide and different toxic substances. Not a good practice to burn plastic. It`s hazardous.
Harveer
14 Points
4 years ago
Search for `how Guj
Harveer
14 Points
4 years ago
@Peter: 
Search for 'how Gujrat used Polyethene waste in Cement Kilns, To get you wondering, Polyethene has higher calorific value than Coal !! Think about the untapped fuel potential.

Dig Deeper!
Kushagra Madhukar
askIITians Faculty 628 Points
3 years ago
Dear student

When plastic is burned, it releases dangerous chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, dioxins, furans and heavy metals, as well as particulates, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), and polycyclic organic matter (POMs - a solid residue leftover). These emissions are known to cause respiratory ailments and stress human immune systems, and they’re potentially carcinogenic. Therefore, in theory you could burn Plastic but in reality you shouldn’t as they are very harmful for the environment.

Hope it helps
Regards,
Kushagra

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free