I know the light emitted from the sun has all the wavelengths, and the higher energy ones are blocked because they cannot pierce the atmosphere. But I know the Radio waves, Micro waves, and Ultra Violet come through, so why can't we feel them? And why is is that we can feel Infared energy and not radio waves?

I know the light emitted from the sun has all the wavelengths, and the higher energy ones are blocked because they cannot pierce the atmosphere. But I know the Radio waves, Micro waves, and Ultra Violet come through, so why can't we feel them? And why is is that we can feel Infared energy and not radio waves?

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear nitin,

Lots of radio waves are too large wavelength to interact with us, additionally radio and microwaves from the sun don't carry that much energy (overall) to affect us (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbody_radiation. UV light causes sunburns and DNA damage (i.e. we do feel it) even though it is mostly blocked by the atmosphere, because they are much higher energy (and more flux is delivered in UV; again, see the black-body article).

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free