Can you pls tell me the derivation of relation b/n energy differences Dq for octahedral, tetrahedral and sq. planar d orbital splitting?

Can you pls tell me the derivation of relation b/n energy differences Dq for octahedral, tetrahedral and sq. planar d orbital splitting?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
12 years ago

Dear VArid,

One of the important aspects of CFT is that not all ligands are identical when it comes to causing a separation of the energy of the d-orbitals. For transition metal compounds, there is clear evidence for this from the multitude of colours available for a given metal ion when the ligands or stereochemistry are varied. For octahedral complexes this is a reflection of the energy difference between the higher dz2, dx2-y2 (eg subset) and the dxy, dyz, dxz (t2g subset).

It has been established that the ability of ligands to cause a large splitting of the energy between the orbitals is essentially independent of the metal ion and the SPECTROCHEMICAL SERIES is a list of ligands ranked in order of their ability to cause large orbital separations.

A shortened list includes: 

I- < Br- < SCN- ~Cl- < F- < OH- ~ ONO- < C2O42- < H2O 
NCS- < EDTA4- < NH3 ~ pyr ~ en < bipy < phen < CN- ~ CO 

When metal ions that have between 4 and 7 electrons in the d orbitals form octahedral compounds, two possible electron distributions can occur. These are referred to as either weak field - strong field or high spin - low spin configurations. 

Best Of luck

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and win by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple  to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free