i am not understanding physics concepts so i want to take care about physics so u plzz sugguest mee

i am not understanding physics concepts so i want to take care about physics so u plzz sugguest mee

Grade:12

2 Answers

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
7 years ago
“This post has been due since long, as many students and parents have been requesting me to say something about the general ‘study’ strategy for building one’s career in Science/Engg, and the things to watch out for. So, here it is – a collection of my old quotes and ideas as well as newly added stuff, which I will keep polishing as and when I have time.”

The first and foremost thing required for academic success is ‘right effort & attiude’. Unless one follows a correct mode of preparation for IIT-JEE (or any similar exam), in the right spirit, it is absurd to hope for a good result. The major aspects of adopting the right methodology are given below, although the fine points evolve as the student progresses.

Always read good books which explain the fundamental concepts in depth, encouraging the spirit of inquiry in the student. University Physics (for Physics; by Sears, Zemansky, Freedman & Young) is probably the best book for a rigorous first reading. Even I had read this book’s old version, cover to cover, during my school days. XI and XII CBSE books published by NCERT must also be read thoroughly. The problem book by Irodov remains the best available, even today. Also “3000 solved problems in Physics” (Schaum series) is highly recommended for IIT-JEE. More ambitious students can study the two theory books by Irodov titled – “Fundamental laws of Mechanics” and “Basic laws of Electromagnetism”. For extra problems, past IIT papers and the Physics textbook by HC Verma should suffice. But please remember that HC Verma’s theory should not be read before reading University Physics. Of course, my class assignments and problem sheets will remain the central guiding focus for building a student’s problem solving ability. On that note, it is absolutely imperative that each and every student should revise my class notes, preferably on the same day as the class, after giving a ‘first reading’ from University Physics. Thus, the order of study, after a particular class, should be: attend class giving 100 % attention to what I am saying and writing (simultaneously noting down what I am writing on the display screen); then go home and study the same portion of the topic from University Physics, then revise my lecture notes (during revision, always fill a few pages of your rough register to reinforce the concepts taught in the class, visually – using pen and paper); after revising my class notes, go through the NCERT book in detail to ensure that CBSE’s part is also fully covered and understood. In most topics, the CBSE portion if almost 90 % the same as what you would have learnt in my class for IIT JEE advanced. The remaining 10 % is mostly memory based and can be easily handled by a student by simply reading the NCERT book.

Next, a peaceful academic environment at home is very important. The student should preferably have a separate room for himself or herself, with a neat and tidy study table. Studying on the bed, sofa, etc. are not good habits. On the study table too, the student should sit in a state of alertness, with the neck and spine straight to allow the entire central nervous system to work efficiently. Try not to litter your room with books, etc. as processing & sorting them in your visual field will unnecessarily consume your brain resources. Always tidy up your room and especially the study area before embarking on a study session. There should be plenty of fresh air in the room, and sunlight too. Lack of fresh air and sunlight is a sure path to depression and poor focus in life. If you are in the habit of studying late in the night (which is ok), do spend a couple of minutes in the day for doing some eye-exercises or practicing eye-relaxation techniques, especially focusing on a low brightness distant object like a faraway tree in daylight, or a bright star at night. Remember, our eye muscles are most relaxed when the eye lens is focusing at infinity.

Choose your teachers (for PCM) carefully. The in-depth knowledge required for IIT-JEE is best imparted by a good teacher, who is her/himself absolutely clear about the concepts, and possesses the pedagogical skills for communicating them to the students. Don’t go for the brand name of an institute; rather, find out about the specific teacher who you are going to interact with. Institutes with good brand names have above average study material, and systematic approach which may be all right for simpler exams like AIEEE or CET. For IIT-JEE, any amount of practice, mock-tests, etc. are useless without a deep understanding of the subject. Always seek the advice of senior students who themselves got a good rank in IIT-JEE, ensuring first that they do not have any vested or economic interests in recommending a certain sub-standard teacher. The opinion of those students, who have not got through IIT-JEE, is generally not useful.

Pay full attention during your coaching classes/lectures and note down each and everything explained during the class in your notebook or register. Unless you note down each and every point with your own hands in your register, you will probably forget that lecture within a few days. Some tricky concepts explained lucidly by an intelligent teacher can be grasped by an attentive student within a few minutes, whereas they may elude another student for days. Also, noting down things while looking at them creates visual maps in our brains which are extremely important for long term memory retention.

If you are tempted to be sometimes inattentive during a class or study session due to fatigue, focus on the fact that the human energy/stamina reservoir has many layers, and the apparent depletion of the outer layer is illusive. A strong ‘will and the desire to pay attention’ make available the hidden energy/stamina layers, eliminating the feeling of fatigue or mental inertia. A few minutes of Yoga/Pranayama will benefit greatly, probably beyond your expectations! I especially recommend the ‘humming technique’ or ‘Bhamri Pranayama’ for students. It essentially consists of closing your ears with your thumbs, lightly resting your fingers on your closed eyes and nose bridge, and humming – trying to create resonance within your head. At a certain pitch of sustained humming, you will suddenly feel resonance within your head, or a state in which the sonic vibrations have distinctly perceptible amplitude inside your head. You can hum 3-4 times in one session, several times in a day, or whenever you feel mental fatigue. Try to relax when doing this, letting go of any attachments towards compulsive/obsessive thinking. This technique will take less than 3 minutes of your 24 hour routine, but it will work wonders. You will start feeling the difference in your mental state within a week to 4 months, depending on how soon you can achieve the resonant state, and how much you can let go of the habit of thinking. Incidentally, people with a musical ear can master this yogic technique very quickly! But, never ever think that you can substitute hard work (and the time spent in studying or practicing problems in your rough notebooks) with such things as Yoga or similar techniques. These things can just aid you in providing the energy required for hard work and studies, or boost your perseverance, stamina and patience. But if you don’t study or practice rigorously, you cannot hope to do well in exams. Let this be the bottom line for all times to come.

Letting go of your thought chains, even for 10 seconds, is like providing a tiny window of opportunity for the brain to reset or refresh its CPU. Normally, our brain keeps working even during sleep (dream stuff), and even a few seconds of ‘rest from complicated thinking’ can be a boon. One might argue that the brain is able to get its rest during the deep sleep period (typically 2 hours per night for the relevant demographics). Well, I disagree with this idea as I have found that the mental and emotional rejuvenation caused by allowing meditative, thoughtless moments is of a totally different quality than the one caused by deep sleep.

Next, incorporate 10 – 30 minutes of physical exercise in your schedule, of any type. Exercise lowers mental stress and improves overall functioning of the body-mind system. During exercise, try to eliminate all thoughts and just become aware of your body, its breathing rhythm, etc. Physical exercises like jogging, swimming or cycling for about 10-20 minutes in the mornings and evenings are recommended. Do some shoulder and hand exercises too, to increase your handwriting speed and associated stamina. A disregard for these tips might result in heaviness of the head & body, and mental fatigue (as the exams approach), jeopardizing your two years of effort. It is not wise to think that you can bypass your body’s health and get a good rank in IIT just by sheer studies!

Do not entertain any unnecessary thoughts about success/failure in IIT-JEE and other exams. Brooding over such ‘futuristic’ event possibilities is just an escape mechanism of a weak mind. Most people, who get depressed, unconsciously enjoy their lamentable state (for various reasons related to our upbringing, societal conditioning, and our own mental habits). A sharp awareness of the ‘thought weaving mind’ is enough to reclaim your authority over the mind. Even from a practical point of view, study sincerely, because it will give you the career of your choice. An unfit career can be very, very frustrating.

Lastly, as requested by my students, let me mention the points which I follow to remain alert in an academic situation: I breathe fresh oxygen rich air, deeply, as much as possible; I avoid endless thought chains which serve no tangible purpose; I try and eat light, healthy food with lots of fruits, veggies and fluids; I do a little bit of Yoga and Pranayama every day; I try and get a good night’s sleep on a regular basis; and last but not the least, I don’t drink alcoholic beverages.
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ srinu 
I agree with your point that physics is a scaring subject , but if you will give good approach , absolutely u can be the best .. 
What u ahve to do is the following 
1- FOLLOW UNIVERSITY OF PHYSICS , H C VERMA , AND NCERT FIRST . 
”after that go for problem solving , and the problem solving should be like that u start it from ncert as ncert contains the most besic problem and day by day u should increase your level . 
2- the next thing is about the previous year paper , thats the most thing if u will have to approach any entrance exam . 
3- do revise your concepts everyday , as keep the wekends for practice and that practice question should contain the chapter that u studied the whole week . 
4- as for every competetive exams , mock test are the most imp thing , so, for that u hv to take ample no. of mock test possible . 
and take that from good source like askiitian . 
5- use the video lecture if possible for understanding the concept as by reading theory so muchj from books u will forget that within 3 days . 
6- and as far as physics will be concerned then it also required some assumption and practical thinking power , 
u have to increase that by playing some games in free times like chess , sudoku etc .. 
HOPE IT HELPS U 
ALL THE BEST … 
and final words -DONOT WORK ONLY HARD , WORK SMART TO GET THE DESIRED RESULT ..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free