Coulomb`s law is applies for electrostatic and biot -savart law is for electromagnetism. Explain this statement.

Coulomb`s law is applies for electrostatic and biot -savart law is for electromagnetism. Explain this statement.

Grade:12

1 Answers

Sanjai
50 Points
4 years ago
Comparison of Biot-Savart law with Coulomb's law.

•According to Coulomb's law, the electric field produced by a charged element at a distance r is given by
             dE=     1.     dq    
                     4πεo      r2
    • According to Biot-Savart law, the magnetic field - produced by a current element I dl at a distance r is given by
           dE=  UIdl sin O
                   4π.   R2
On comparing the above two equations, the following points of similarities and differences between the two laws. we note

Points of similarity:
1. Both fields depend inversely the distance from the source to the point of on the square of observation.
2.long range fields.
3. The principle of superposition is applicable to both fields. This is because the magnetic field is linearly related to its source, namely, the current Both are element I dl and the electrostatic field is related linearly to its source, namely, the electric charge.

Points of difference
1. The magnetic field is produced by a vector source the current element I dl. The electro- static field is produced by a scalar source the electric charge dq.
2. The direction of the electrostatic field is along the displacement vector joining the source and the field point. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane containing the displacement vector r and the current element I dl
3. In Bio-Savart law, the magnitude of the magnetic field is proportional to the sine of the angle between the current element I di and displacement vector r while there is no such angle dependence in the Coulomb's law for the electrostatic field. Along the axial line of the current element 0 0° sin 0 0 and hence dB 0.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free