Now a days students are using Electrical scooters,bikes etc. which are battery operated. Batteries are maintenence free, 12 volts, 20 to 38AH range and are equiped with charging facility form our house hold supply. My question is whether it would be advisable to charge battery during night hours or not? Because I have observed that due to higher frequency during night hours batteries are charged very faster i.e. it takes @5 hours for full charging then normal @8 hours during day time. And thereby savings of electricity. Can u explain me the basics of charing the battery in contex to above, at higer frequency(say 50.2Hz) then lower frequecy(say 48.9Hz).

Now a days students are using Electrical scooters,bikes etc. which are battery operated. Batteries are maintenence free, 12 volts, 20 to 38AH range and are equiped with charging facility form our house hold supply. My question is whether it would be advisable to charge battery during night hours or not? Because I have observed that due to higher frequency during night hours batteries are charged very faster i.e. it takes @5 hours for full charging then normal @8 hours during day time. And thereby savings of electricity. Can u explain me the basics of charing the battery in contex to above, at higer frequency(say 50.2Hz) then lower frequecy(say 48.9Hz).

Grade:12

2 Answers

Ramesh V
70 Points
14 years ago

The supply of electric power to our houses from generating stations is mainly in form of alternating current. However the losses experienced along the path of travel from the central power grid station to the substations and then on to the distributors are phenomenal. This loss is dependent on the frequency of the a.c. supply. Along the path there are transformers, transmission cables and cores. The loss of energy in these parts depend directly on the frequency irrespective of whether the voltage is being stepped down or up.

so power consumption at your house appliances has nothing to do with frequency of AC supply

For AC 1 phase supply, Power consumed =V*I*pf

If it is operating on 3 Ph. AC then Power = 31/2*V*I*pf.

Slow charging can be carried out in  relatively simple chargers and should not result in battery overheating.

As the charging rate increases, the dangers of overcharging or overheating the battery.

The charging wholly depends on voltage and current .

--

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Naga Ramesh
IIT Kgp - 2005 batch

umesh chandrakant shah
36 Points
14 years ago

Dear sir,

Thanks for reply,

But,

I still do not understand what is the actual process takes place in-side these maintanance free batteries so that it is gatting charged or ready for another round of operation. Kidly explain in details if possible.

Further, as per my knowledge voltage is also stabilizing during night hours. As per my voltage stabilizer observation it remains more or less constant at @ 235V during night hours then @215V during day time. Does it  has any roll on battery charging time?

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free