sir is the the lenz law based on law of conservation of energy?i think it is am i right

sir is the the lenz law based on law of conservation of energy?i think it is am i right

Grade:

1 Answers

AKASH GOYAL AskiitiansExpert-IITD
420 Points
13 years ago

Dear Nehal

Yes you are right

According to Lenz’s law “the direction of induced current in a closed circuit is always such as to oppose the cause that produces it.”

When the north pole of a magnet is taking near a blocked coil, the route of current provoked in the coil is for instance to contest the approach of North Pole (source:wikipedia). For this the nearer face of coil behaves as North Pole. This necessitates an anticlockwise current in the coil, when seen from the magnet side.

From the below figure you can understand this concept.

Similarly when North Pole of the magnet is moved away from the coil, the direction of current in the coil will be such as to attract the magnet. For this the nearer face of coil behaves as South Pole. This necessitates a clockwise current in the coil, when seen from the magnet side.

From the below figure we can understand this concept.

Thus, in each case whenever there is a relative motion between a coil and the magnet, a force begins to act which opposes the relative motion. Therefore to maintain the relative motion, a mechanical work must be done this work appears in the form of electric energy of coil. Thus Lenz’s law is based on conservation of energy.

All the best.                                                           

AKASH GOYAL

AskiitiansExpert-IIT Delhi

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free