When we convert a galvanometer to voltmeter it is said that we should connect infinite resistance with galvanometer. But if the resistance wil be infinity then there will be no current in galvanometer. And without current magnetic force will not work in galvanometer. And if magnetic force don’t work then there will be no deflection in needle. Then how we measure the voltage???? and 1 more problem is that the equation-> V=i(G+R) [where i=current in voltmeter branch and G=Resistance of coil of galvanometer and R=infinity] then V = 0 x infinity. now 0 x infinity =???????????

When we convert a galvanometer to voltmeter it is said that we should connect infinite resistance with galvanometer. But if the resistance wil be infinity then there will be no current in galvanometer. And without current magnetic force will not work in galvanometer. And if magnetic force don’t work then there will be no deflection in needle. Then how we measure the voltage????
and 1 more problem is that the equation-> V=i(G+R)  [where i=current in voltmeter branch and G=Resistance of coil of galvanometer and R=infinity]
 then V = 0 x infinity.
now 0 x infinity =??????????? 

Grade:12

1 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
Dear student 
The resistance is infinte , means the current is very small , This means V = IR , it can sufficiently , develop the whole voltage , what is required by Voltmeter. 
Hope This helps 
Good Luck 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free