HETAV PATEL

Grade 11,

please help me with my question,it confuses me a lot----- as we know that current flows from higher potential to lower potential,so what happens in circuit wire as it is a conductor so it should be euipotential and therefore current should not flow through it.please explain in detail

please help me with my question,it confuses me a lot-----
as we know that current flows from higher potential to lower potential,so what happens in circuit wire as it is a conductor so it should be euipotential and therefore current should not flow through it.please explain in detail

Grade:12

1 Answers

Susmita
425 Points
5 years ago
Let me make it clear to you.
1)A conductor under 'static condition' is an equipotential surface and therefore no current flows there.Focus on the word static condition,ie,when it is not in an electric circuit or potential on every point of the conductor is the same.
2)In electric wire,it is not static.We are applying voltage  difference between its two end points.So an electric field is generated.Positive charges will flow in direction of the field and negative charges will flow in opossite  direction to the field.Thetefore a current will flow in the direction of the field,ie,from higher to lower potential.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free