i did found the resistance by taking a strip dr of radius r and integrating it to a to b. but i didnt understand one thing that on integrating dr comers in the denominator and therefore all the strips are in parallel.....but how is it possible that all strips are in parallel because it is a conductor therefore it should be equipotential but if so then current should not flow through it because current flows from higher potential to lower potential....please help me it is confusing my concepts

i did found the resistance by taking a strip dr of radius r and integrating it to a to b. but i didnt understand one thing that on integrating dr comers in the denominator and therefore all the strips are in parallel.....but how is it possible that all strips are in parallel because it is a conductor therefore it should be equipotential but if so then current should not flow through it because current flows from higher potential to lower potential....please help me it is confusing my concepts

Question Image
Grade:12

1 Answers

Eshan
askIITians Faculty 2095 Points
5 years ago
Dear student,

It is a very intelligent doubt to notice that we had known that a conductor is an equipotential volume, but now when talking about resistance, we talk about ‘potential difference’.
Well, this is so because when claiming that a conductor is equipotential, we assumed it to be an ‘ideal conductor’. It had no resistance at all.

However when we talk about resistance, we talk about ‘collisions’ of flowing electrons inside the conducting material, which makes it a non-ideal conductor. Had these collisions existed in the earlier case, we could not have said that there was no electric field inside, and hence no potential difference.

Hope it helped.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free