I’ve taken Boards this year and I want to study abroad. I wanted to know about the exams like SAT and TOEFL etc.and how should I prepare for those. Can I get help regarding admissions and entrance tests to study in institutes like MIT, Stanford etc.?

I’ve taken Boards this year and I want to study abroad. I wanted to know about the exams like SAT and TOEFL  etc.and how should I prepare for those. Can I get help regarding admissions and entrance tests to study in institutes like MIT, Stanford etc.?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Abhinav
askIITians Faculty 387 Points
8 years ago
You need to prepare for SAT-I and SAT-II(subject tests like Phy,Chem,Maths) and TOEFL .You need to get good score in all three exams if you want top 20-30 universities .Now how to do that.

1.) first of all ,DO BUY THE OFFICIAL SAT GUIDE. The sample papers in the book are indispensable . This book should be your sat prep bible.
2.) The maths section is incredibly scoring. I'd recommend john chung's book which tries to identify patterns in the test questions and groups them in 50 types. Although the questions might appear easy, it is essential to practice as even a single wrong question can drop your scire by 30 to 50 points.
3.) the MCQs of writing section are again very scoring. The key here is practice. Erica Meltzer provides all possible question types in her grammar workbook . Do it and you are golden. Analyze each and every problem you get wrong in the sat official book. For the essay ,prepare a set of 15 examples beforehand . Test makers test your content and not your composition. Go with an open mind and make use of any possible connection you can make.
4.) The Reading section primarily depends upon deduction and inference skills. While these skills are relatively difficult to learn in a short span of time , they can surely be polished. Practice reading laborious and uninteresting passages without losing focus. Try to get into the passage. Place yourself in the writer's shoes. Do not simply go through the passage. At the same time , make sure that you spend more time on answering the questions than reading itself.
5.) Practice from the official book .Do every test paper .Analyze your mistakes. If you need more reading passages, buy the official online course . It has a few more sample papers.

Good luck!!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free