I got rank 1238 in jee2012.I get btech degree in ece,ee at iitroorkee,dual degree in elec and mech at iitkgp,dualdegree in mech at iitmadras.I heard that dual degree is inferior to btech degree and furthur the placements are not good for the dualdegree and are less compared to btech degree.so now if i opt for mech dual in madras thinking that iitm is best for mech i fall in to a dilemma that dual degree doesnt fetch proper job and the similarily if if i opt for elec dual in iitkgp thinking that kgp is a very old colleg and it had good standards,i fall in to dilomma again that dual degree doesnt fetch proper job.secondly if i think about iitroorkee i.e ee and ece i fall in to confusion that iitroorkee is a nwly formed iit and the faculty may b new and the placements may not b so good compared to old iits.but i am neutral in every thing but my final do is to go for bestplacement yielding college and branch and i am neutral in even ee or ece or mech subjects.FURTHER, Ihave a goal of doing ms in foreign and to do that many say btech is btr and even enough furthur some said that if you want to do ms in us or else where you need not think about placements the only thing you need is knowledge. well now if I switch to roorkee again I end up with the same above dilemma that if i do btech in iitroorkee i may not go up to the standard of getting knowledge enough to go to higher studies in foreign countries because it is nwly formed iit and doesnt have as good standards as othr iits have.so i hav another option now i.e doing dual in iitm or iitkgp and thendoing ms in us.please suggest me which is better choice owing to all my doubts as stated above.further tell me either mech or elec is better in case of placements i.e iitm is better or iitkgp is better for mechdual and elec dual rspctively.please suggest me.

I got rank 1238 in jee2012.I get btech degree in ece,ee at iitroorkee,dual degree in elec and mech at iitkgp,dualdegree in mech at iitmadras.I heard that dual degree is inferior to btech degree and furthur the placements are not good for the dualdegree and are less compared to btech degree.so now if i opt for mech dual in madras thinking that iitm is best for mech i fall in to a dilemma that dual degree doesnt fetch proper job and the similarily if if i opt for elec dual in iitkgp thinking that kgp is a very old colleg and it had good standards,i fall in to dilomma again that dual degree doesnt fetch proper job.secondly if i think about iitroorkee i.e ee and ece i fall in to confusion that iitroorkee is a nwly formed iit and the faculty may b new and the placements may not b so good compared to old iits.but i am neutral in every thing but my final do is to go for bestplacement yielding college and branch and i am neutral in even ee or ece or mech subjects.FURTHER, Ihave a goal of doing ms in foreign and to do that many say btech is btr and even enough furthur some said that if you want to do ms in us or else where you need not think about placements the only thing you need is knowledge. well now if I switch to roorkee again I end up with the same above dilemma that if i do btech in iitroorkee i may not go up to the standard of getting knowledge enough to go to higher studies in foreign countries because it is nwly formed iit and doesnt have as good standards as othr iits have.so i hav another option now i.e doing dual in iitm or iitkgp and thendoing ms in us.please suggest me which is better choice owing to all my doubts as stated above.further tell me either mech or elec is better in case of placements i.e iitm is better or iitkgp is better for mechdual and elec dual rspctively.please suggest me.

Grade:12th Pass

2 Answers

kavish Dwivedi
94 Points
11 years ago

see 1st of all you will have to be absolutely clear whether you want to be branch specific or not... if not then an obvious choice in any college for branches are CSE then EE then MECH..as far as IITs are concerned or even top NITs or IIIT H...there is absolutely no difference between cse and ee placements in any of the IITs or TOP 4 NITs or IIIT H..you have the same amazon,google,microsoft,facebook,goldman sachs,yahoo,oracle,adobe and citrix visiting everywhere every year be it NIT allahabad or be it IIT BHU or be it IIT B cse and they dont cap themselves that we have to take 10 from IIT B and 1 from BHU...wherever they find better people they take that much amount...as far as MS degree is concerned it is true that placements does not matter much but its a total falsehood that a guy studying in IIT M gets more opportunities than a IIT R guy...i tell you all the recognised IVY LEAGUE institutions treat all IITs and IIIT H as a single entity having the same levels of education..for MS/Mtech what you will need is to go and perform very good at your college being atleast above 8.5 cpi and participating in some extra activities too only to build your profile over the 4 years...another point is that doing a dual degree might not fetch you a better job than 4 year guys and will also come in way of your MS/M.Tech preparations...so as my advice if you get ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS anywhere in any IIT go for it in preference to ELECTRONICS ONLY because most IVY LEAGUES have only electrical and electronics which covers both electrical engineering and electronics engineering since both branches are highly related..and as a job opportunity IIT R cse/ee will always fare better than any mech at any other IIT if you are a good student there....there is a difference between the pay packages of IT industry and mech industries and that shud be kept in mind when thinking about opportunities and pay...and as far as IVY LEAGUE is concerned IIT R is as good as IIT B/K/M/KGP/D

Jaggi Ghumaan
35 Points
11 years ago

dont go to dual degree
go to b.tech in civil or mechanical at any old iit

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free