from tesla coil hw current can flow in air please explain me

from tesla coil hw current can flow in air please explain me

Grade:12

1 Answers

RAHUL ROHILLA
askIITians Faculty 873 Points
5 years ago
Picture a reclusive man, dripping sweat all night in a dark lab, illuminated only by crackling sparks that leap from enormous machines and cast a purple glow across his face. This is Nikola Tesla, the archetype of themad scientist. His inventions fill the world around us; they are instrumental to our modern electrical grid. They are quiet, reliable, invisible machines.

But, perhaps his most famous invention is the Tesla coil (see above photo), the contraption that produces beautiful flying arcs of electrical energy. How does that thing work?

The principles behind the Tesla coil are relatively simple. Just keep in mind that electrical current is the flow of electrons, while the difference in electric potential (voltage) between two places is what pushes that current. Current is like water, and voltage is like a hill. A large voltage is a steep hill, down which a stream of electrons will flow. A small voltage is like a near-flat plain with almost no water flow.

The power of the Tesla coil lies in a process calledelectromagnetic induction, i.e., a changing magnetic field creates an electric potential that compels current to flow. Conversely, flowing electric current generates a magnetic field. When electricity flows through a wound up coil of wire, it generates a magnetic field that fills the area around the coil in a particular pattern, shown with lines below:

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free