[email protected]
India's First Online IIT-JEE & NEET Coaching Platform - Trusted Since 2006
Question icon
12 grade chemistry others

Which of the following is not optically active?

Which of the following is not optically active?

  • A. [Co(en)₃]³⁺
  • B. [Cr(ox)₃]³⁻
  • C. cis - [CoCl₂(en)₂]⁺
  • D. trans - [CoCl₂(en)₂]⁺
Profile image of Aniket Singh
1 Year agoGrade
Answers icon

1 Answer

Profile image of Askiitians Tutor Team

Askiitians Tutor Team

ApprovedApproved Tutor Answer1 Year ago

To determine which of the given complexes is not optically active, we need to consider their symmetry and structure.

Understanding Optical Activity

Optical activity refers to the ability of a compound to rotate plane-polarized light. This property is typically found in chiral molecules, which lack an internal plane of symmetry.

Analyzing the Options

  • A. [Co(en)₃]³⁺: This complex is chiral due to the arrangement of the ethylenediamine (en) ligands, making it optically active.
  • B. [Cr(ox)₃]³⁻: The oxalate (ox) ligands create a symmetrical structure, leading to no optical activity.
  • C. cis - [CoCl₂(en)₂]⁺: The cis arrangement of ligands results in chirality, thus it is optically active.
  • D. trans - [CoCl₂(en)₂]⁺: The trans configuration has a plane of symmetry, making it not optically active.

Final Thoughts

Among the options, both B and D are not optically active. However, if you need to choose one, B. [Cr(ox)₃]³⁻ is the best answer as it is inherently symmetrical and does not exhibit optical activity.


question mark

is Pradeep Chemistry+Ncert sufficient for all of the theory of Jee Mains Chemistry?


Hi, I’m a self-study JEE 2027 aspirant with a large 11th backlog. Since I don’t think 6–8 hour one-shots are sufficient to cover the full theory + breadth of problem types of a JEE chapter, I’ve shifted from lecture-based preparation to book-based self-study.


I have a problem with using NCERT as my primary chemistry source. In my experience, it is concise and information-heavy, but often lacks detailed explanations, systematic organisation of concepts, and categorisation of problem types. This seems especially problematic for Physical and Organic Chemistry, where I feel that simply reading NCERT may not give enough depth or problem-solving preparation.


So I’m considering this approach:


Pradeep Chemistry → complete the chapter thoroughly from Pradeep → then read NCERT for that chapter → solve JEE Main PYQs/problems.


My main question is:


Is Pradeep + NCERT sufficient as the complete theory source for JEE Main-level Chemistry?


In other words, after thoroughly completing a chapter from Pradeep and then NCERT, can I consider the theory part of that chapter complete for JEE Main, with only PYQs/problem practice remaining?


I’m asking specifically about JEE Main level, not Advanced.


Also, if Pradeep is not sufficient, what specific gap does it leave, and what would you recommend as a better book-based alternative for self-study?

Grade 1212 grade chemistry others

Last Activity: 28 Days ago