IF I GET NAVAL AND OCEAN ENGG AT IIT MADRAS AND ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AT IIT HYDERABAD,WHICH ONE SHOULD I PREFER..(I'M MORE INTERESTED IN ELECTRICAL ENGG THAN OCEAN ENGG)

IF I GET NAVAL AND OCEAN ENGG AT IIT MADRAS AND ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AT IIT HYDERABAD,WHICH ONE SHOULD I PREFER..(I'M MORE INTERESTED IN ELECTRICAL ENGG THAN OCEAN ENGG)

Grade:10

1 Answers

Askiitians Expert Ankit Jain- IIT Bombay
18 Points
13 years ago

Dear Akhil,

First of all congrates for selection!

The question you have asked can be broken down into two aspects.

1. IIT Madras vs IIT Hyderabad

2. Electrical Engg vs Ocean Engg.

Let's attack it one by one.

1.  There is not even a slight doubt that IIT Madras scores over IIT Hyderabad.

* IIT Hyderabad, being new doesn't have proper infrastructure in place. So for any branch you opt at that institute, you are bound to feel dearth of infrastructure and excellent faculty  as compared to other IITs in the same branch.

* Placements :  Obviously, Electrical engineering students have better chances of placements than Naval and Ocean Engineering.  But you will soon know that there are many companies, be it consulting, finance or some engineering firms which only visit some major IITs and are open to students of all branches. The starting packages of those can vary anywhere from 30k pm to  45k pm. An average elec engg guy from not a top college can get anywhere 20k pm -- 30k pm. So placements should not be an issue if you join IIT Madras any branch.

* Excellent peer group, exposure to activites other than academics, meeting eminent people from industry, outstanding alumni network are some of the other benefits you get out of a good campus

* Moreover, you can also try for branch change in the first year at IIT Madras.

2. Elec vs Ocean

*  Course wise and  placement wise in the core branch Elec engg obviously scores over naval ocean engg.

* Being a good electrical engineer, industry has a lot of options open for you as compared to Ocean engg.

So, to conclude, unless you are too much interested in elec engg, you should opt for a top IIT rather than a new IIT.

I hope this explanation proves helpful to you.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can.  We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best!!

Regards

Askiitians Expert

Ankit Jain- IIT Bombay

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free