In muscle, the functional unit of contraction, which is a p ortion of a myofibril, positioned in between two successive Z lines is? A I band B A band C H zone D I band with Z line

In muscle, the functional unit of contraction, which is a portion of a myofibril, positioned in between two successive Z lines is?

A

I band

B

A band

C

H zone

D

I band with Z line

Grade:11

1 Answers

ankit singh
askIITians Faculty 614 Points
3 years ago
  • Myofibril is made of two types of filaments. They are thin filament(actin ) and thick filament(myosin).
  • Each myofibril has alternate dark and light bands on it. The light bands contain actin and are called I-band or Isotropic band, whereas the dark band called ‘A’ or Anisotropic band contains myosin.
  •  In the centre of each ‘I’ band is an elastic fibre called ‘Z’ line which bisects it. The thin filaments are firmly attached to the ‘Z’ line.
  •  The portion of the myofibril between two successive ‘Z’ lines is considered as the functional unit of contraction and is called a sarcomere.
  • Hence In muscle, the functional unit of contraction, which is a portion of a myofibril, positioned in between two successive Z lines is I band.
  • So, the correct answer is I band'.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free