My weakest area is LOCUS in cordinate geometry & i cant even understand many problems. I need a long list of solved variety in questions of finding locus of tangents intersecting with circles, parabolas, hyperbolas

My weakest area is LOCUS in cordinate geometry & i cant even understand many problems.

I need a long list of solved variety in questions of finding locus of tangents intersecting with circles, parabolas, hyperbolas

Grade:11

1 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
12 years ago

Dear Shirish,

CONDITION 1 : A point moves such that it is always m units from the point Q.

Locus formed: A circle with centre Q and radius m.

Example :

Construct the locus of a point at a constant distance of 2 cm from a fixed point Q.

Solution:

Construct a circle with centre Q and radius 2 cm.

CONDITION 2 : A point P moves such that it is equidistant form two fixed pointsX and Y.

Locus formed: A perpendicular bisector of the line XY.

Example:

Construct the locus of point P moving equidistant from fixed points X and Y and XY= 6 cm.

Solution:

Construct a perpendicular bisector of the line XY.

CONDITION 3: A point P moves so that it is always m units from a straight lineAB.

Locus formed: A pair of parallel lines m units from AB.

Example:

Construct the locus of a point P that moves a constant distant of 2 cm from a straight line AB.

Solution:

Construct a pair of parallel lines 2 cm from AB.

CONDITION 4: A point moves so that it is always equidistant from two intersecting lines AB and CD.

Locus formed: Angle bisectors of angles between lines AB and CD.

Example:

The following figure shows two straight lines AB and CD intersecting at point O. Construct the locus of point P such that it is always equidistant from AB and CD.

Solution:

Construct angles bisectors of angles between lines AB and CD.

Best Of luck

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and win by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple  to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free