A group of 25 friends were discussing a large positive integer. "It can be divided by 1," said the first friend. "It can be divided by 2," said the second friend. "And by 3," said the third friend. "And by 4," added the fourth friend. This continued until everyone had made such a comment. If exactly two friends were incorrect, and those two friends said consecutive numbers, what was the least possible integer they were discussing? i got this problem somewhere. wanted to share it

A group of 25 friends were discussing a large positive integer. "It can be divided by 1," said the first friend. "It can be divided by 2," said the second friend. "And by 3," said the third friend. "And by 4," added the fourth friend. This continued until everyone had made such a comment. If exactly two friends were incorrect, and those two friends said consecutive numbers, what was the least possible integer they were discussing? i got this problem somewhere. wanted to share it Smile

Grade:10

9 Answers

Swapnil Saxena
102 Points
12 years ago

The two friends incorrect were the ones who said 16 and 17. So the no is

1*23*32*52*7*11*13*19*23 = 787386600

Sathya
35 Points
12 years ago

I can understand what ur tellin but why is it 16 and 17???

Ashwin Muralidharan IIT Madras
290 Points
12 years ago

Dude,

That is the essence of this problem.

You should not be asking for the solutions of such problems. You should rather be solving it on your own no matter how long you take to solve it.

Otherwise your problem solving ability will stay at your current problem solving level.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

Pavan Kumar
39 Points
12 years ago

It would be the product of numbers from 1 to 23 because eliminating 24 and 25 reduces the result more than anything else.....

Sathya
35 Points
12 years ago

At  Ashwin:

Ok.Ill find the reason behind it on my own... :)

Swapnil Saxena
102 Points
12 years ago

I also think Ashwin sir is right...

First try to solve it yourself , it ll surely increase your ability. There exist a solution fr evry prob somewhere but that doesnt really mean that one shouldnt try to solve it and ask fr the solution .

Sathya
35 Points
12 years ago

At  Swapnil Saxena: Oh K...And Could u give me ur gmail id??? I can send u a request... Smile

At Ashwin : Onaya Paathi sir intaanda!!!!!!!!! Tongue out

rituparna chakraborty
14 Points
12 years ago

I know i am wrong but just trying....... is it 2059318800?

Sathya
35 Points
12 years ago

Nope :(

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free