which molecule is more polar. H-F or H-Br? In terms of electronegativity, F is more electronegative than Br, hence it attracts the shaired pair of electrons closer than Br, hence HF should be more polar. on the other hand in terms of polarizability, Br is bigger in size and hence, greater polarizability by the hydrogen atom as compared to flurine.Hence, HBr shud be more polar. I am getting contradicting answers. please explain which molecule is more polar and why>?

which molecule is more polar. H-F or H-Br? In terms of electronegativity, F is more electronegative than Br, hence it attracts the shaired pair of electrons closer than Br, hence HF should be more polar. on the other hand in terms of polarizability, Br is bigger in size and hence, greater polarizability by the hydrogen atom as compared to flurine.Hence, HBr shud be more polar. I am getting contradicting answers. please explain which molecule is more polar and why>?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Bhavya
askIITians Faculty 1281 Points
8 years ago
Dipole moment= q*d (charge*distance)
Here H-F molecule is more polar since electronegativity dominates in case of halogens.
Thus the treand of dipole moment is H-F (1.8D) >H-Cl (1.1.D)>H-Br (0.8D)>H-I (0.4D)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free