A scientist wants to express human protein Y in bacteria. For effective expression of this protein he should use A. promoter of human gene Y. B. promoter of bacterial gene. C. operator of any human gene. D. operator of any bacterial gene

A scientist wants to express human protein Y in bacteria. For effective expression of this protein he should use
A. promoter of human gene Y.
B. promoter of bacterial gene.
C. operator of any human gene.
D. operator of any bacterial gene

Grade:12

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
First we'll identify what a promoter and what an operator is. An operator is a region of DNA to which a transcription factor binds to regulate the expression of genes. A promoter initiates the transcription of a particular gene.
It doesn't seem to make sense that being able to regulate and transcribe any bacterial gene in this case is going to help the scientist in expressing protein Y so in a breath I would discard the bacterial promoter and bacterial operator as a means of expressing protein Y.
So we are left with the promoter of gene Y and a generic operator. It would make sense that having a promoter of a particular gene would result in the transcription of that gene. Having an operator of any human gene would only regulate its expression but that does not necessitate that the gene is able to be expressed. We also assume here that this operator does work on gene Y.
So in conclusion, if I were answering the question, I would say that he should use a promoter of gene Y in the bacterium to cause the bacterium to express gene Y. I would also add (since it isn't given in the question) that the bacterium is assumed to have a copy of the coding regions of gene Y in order to transcribe the protein.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free