con u please tell me the osmotic conc of diff cells i.e, flaccid, turgid e.t.c in plant transport.

con u please tell me the osmotic conc of diff cells i.e, flaccid, turgid e.t.c in plant transport.

Grade:12th Pass

1 Answers

Anjali Ahuja
askIITians Faculty 234 Points
4 years ago
Hello Student

Osmotic concentration is basically the solute concentration. Let's take a look into different types of solution and how they make different cells turgid or flaccid.
Osmotic concentrations (Types of solutions)

A solution can be termed as hypotonic, hypertonic and isotonic depending upon its osmotic concentration, with respect to another solution or cell sap.

(a)Hypotonic solution(hypo= less than). A solution, whose osmotic concentration (solute potential) is less than that of another solution or cell sap is called hypotonic solution. If a cell is placed in such a solution, water starts moving into the cell by the process of endosmosis, and cell becomes turgid.

(b)Hypertonic solution(hyper= more than). A solution, whose osmotic concentration (solute potential) is more than that of another solution or cell sap is called hypertonic solution. If a cell is placed in such a solution, water comes out of the cell by the process of exosmosis and cell become flaccid. If potato tuber is placed in concentrated salt solution it would become shrink due to loss of water from its cell.

(c)Isotonic solution(iso= the same). A solution, whose osmotic concentration (solute potential) is equal to that of another solution or cell sap, is called isotonic solution. If a cell is placed in an isotonic solution, there is no net change of water between the cell and the solution and the shape of the cell remain unchanged. The normal saline (0.85% solution ofNaCl) and 0.4mto 0.5msolution of sucrose are isotonic to the cell sap.

I hope it helps.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free