What is Valency?, I mean by it that the valency is termed as number of electrons an atom can give or take. But the valency of Iron(II) (Fe) is 2, and valency of Iron(III) (Fe) is 3,But why the valency of iron should be 2,8,8,8 thats in last ring it can give 8 electron so 8 should be valency. And how do we find valencies of compounds and elements i amnot clear in that. please help me. Thanks in advance.

What is Valency?, I mean by it that the valency is termed as number of electrons an atom can give or take. But the valency of Iron(II) (Fe) is 2, and valency of Iron(III) (Fe) is 3,But why the valency of iron should be 2,8,8,8 thats in last ring it can give 8 electron so 8 should be valency. And how do we find valencies of compounds and elements i amnot clear in that. please help me. Thanks in advance.

Grade:9

2 Answers

Ravi
askIITians Faculty 69 Points
9 years ago
Suborbital Electronic configuration of Iron is: [Ar] 3d6 4s2

Apart from the principle quantum number, there are other electronic levels too on which the electron filling is done.e.g. (n+l) rule, Pauli’s exclusion, etc.If you haven’t studied suborbital and quantum number concept, then please go through it first through your textbook. That will clear out all your doubts.
pranav taysheti
37 Points
9 years ago
Thans sir. I will prefer reading those concepts

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free