what are the nucleic acids in DNA

what are the nucleic acids in DNA

Grade:9

6 Answers

Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
DNA itself is a nucleic acid and is known as deoxy ribonucleic acid. It is made up of nucleotides which are molecules made up of a phosphate, a sugar and a nitrogenous base.
Please approve the answer if you like it and feel free to ask any follow-up question :)
A M S ARUN KRISHNA
216 Points
8 years ago
DNA ( Deoxy ribo nucleic acid )consists of
  • Adenine nucleic acid
  • Thymine nucleic acid
  • Guanine nucleic acid
  • Cytosine nucleic acid
Abishek arun
153 Points
8 years ago
nucleic acids present in DNA are
Adenine
Thymine
Guanine
Cytosine
In DNA Adenine always pairs with Thymine and Guanine always pairs with Cytosine
deapan
131 Points
8 years ago
Neeti I asked what it nucleic acid consists of and can you describe about it
Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
I would like to point out that Adenine Thymine Guanine Cytosine - these are nitrogenous bases NOT nucleic acids. Nucleic acid is formed by combination of these nitrogenous bases plus a deoxyribose sugar plus a phosphate group. This gives rise to 1 molecule of  nucleotide and nucleic acids are polymers of nucleotides. different nucleotides are adenylic acid, guanylic acid etc which polymerize in different combinations to give rise to DNA. 
Yes DNA is double stranded and follows complimentary base pairing i.e. the nitrogenous base adenine always pairs with thymine and cytosine with guanine.
Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
Yes Sure. Nucelic acid is a polymer of nucleotides. There are two types of nucleic acid – deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA) . The only difference between these two is that in DNA, the sugar at the 2’ position doesn’t have an OH group while the RNA sugar has OH at 2’ position and in DNA, Thymidine is present whereas in RNA uridine is present in place of thymine
These nucleic acids are polymers of nucleotides and nucleotides are molecules consisting of a sugar, a phosphate group and a nitrogenous base.
nitrogenous bases are of two types – purines ( Adenine and guanine) and pyrimidines ( thymine cytosine and uracil)

Any other doubt? :)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free