Chemestry: Collaids: How is multimolicular collaid lyohilic? I am studying in 9 th std and i am having some doubts in collaids. In collaids there are 2 types on the bases of molecules. Multimolicular and macromolicular. and 2 types on the basis of nature lyophilic and lyophobic. Multimolicular collaid is lophilic in nature. But how Multimolicular collaid should be lyophobic nature because it is the lyophobic collaid which attrcts each other and be heavy and so is instable. Thanks in advance

Chemestry: Collaids:

How is multimolicular collaid lyohilic?

I am studying in 9th std and i am having some doubts in collaids.

In collaids there are 2 types on the bases of molecules. Multimolicular and macromolicular. and 2 types on the basis of nature lyophilic and lyophobic.

Multimolicular collaid is lophilic in nature. But how Multimolicular collaid should be lyophobic nature because it is the lyophobic collaid which attrcts each other and be heavy and so is instable.

Thanks in advance

Grade:9

4 Answers

Anjali Ahuja
askIITians Faculty 234 Points
9 years ago
hello pranav..
Yes there are multimoleculer and macromoleculer colloids.
Multimoleculer colloids are lyophiilic (liquid loving) in nature on an average.
Generally in this type there is occurence of lyophillic as well as lyophobic portion in the same molecule. This the aggregates of ions and molecules with lyophobic and lyophillic parts are called micelles. Micelles are of colloidal dimensions though the individual ion or molecules may not be of colloidal dimension. In figure; hydrophillic is water(liquid) loving and hydrophobic is water(liquid) repelling261-487_micelle.gif
pranav taysheti
37 Points
9 years ago
Sir. but arent the miscelles the third type of collaids. According to book miscelles are diferent than multimolicular collaid.
Anjali Ahuja
askIITians Faculty 234 Points
9 years ago
Yes you are right If we widely categorise the colloids there is third category called associated colloids in which micelles are included. Here in multimoleculer colloids the aggregates are like micelles but these are of atoms or small molecule which are held together by Van der Waal forces. For example sulphur sol consists of colloidal particles which are aggregates of S8 molecules.
pranav taysheti
37 Points
9 years ago
Thanks sir and maam for resolving my doubt.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free