9. Carry out the following osmosis experiment : Take four peeled potato halves and scoop each one out to make potato cups. One of these potato cups should be made from a boiled potato. Put each potato cup in a trough containing water. Now, (a) keep cup A empty. (b) put one teaspoon sugar in cup B. (c) put one teaspoon salt in cup C. (d) put one teaspoon sugar in the boiled potato cup D. Keep these for two hours. Then observe the four potato cups and answer the following : (i) Explain, why water gathers in the hollow portion (ii) Why is potato A necessary for this experiment? (iii) Explain, why water does not gather in the hollow portions of A and D?

9. Carry out the following osmosis experiment :
Take four peeled potato halves and scoop each one out to make potato cups. One of these potato cups should be made from a boiled potato. Put each potato cup in a trough containing water. Now,
(a) keep cup A empty.
(b) put one teaspoon sugar in cup B.
(c) put one teaspoon salt in cup C.
(d) put one teaspoon sugar in the boiled potato cup D.
Keep these for two hours. Then observe the four potato cups and answer the following :
(i) Explain, why water gathers in the hollow portion
(ii) Why is potato A necessary for this experiment?
(iii) Explain, why water does not gather in the hollow portions of A and D?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Pawan Prajapati
askIITians Faculty 60787 Points
3 years ago
(i) Water gathers in the hollow portions of set-up B and C because water enters the potato due to osmosis. Since the Medium surrounding the cell has a higher water concentration than the cell, the water moves inside by osmosis. Thus, water gathers in the hollowed portions of the potato cup. (ii) Potato A in the experiment performs as a control set-up. No water collects in the hollowed portions of potato A. (iii) Water does not gather in the hollowed portions of potato A because potato cup A is empty. It is a control set-up in the experiment. Entry of water is not possible in potato D because the potato used here is boiled. Boiling denatures the proteins present in the cell membrane, so disrupts the cell membrane. A permeable membrane is required for osmosis, which is not present in this case. Therefore, osmosis will not occur.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free