I am deriving the formula for sulphur dioxide.the symbol for constituent elements are s and o.the valency for sulphur is 2, and the valency for oxygen is 2. So when the superscrit becomes subscript the formula should be SO. But why does sulphur have 4 as superscript and oxygen has 2 as superscript. On crossing the Valencies the formula becomes SO2. My question is why the superscript of s is 4?

I am deriving the formula for sulphur dioxide.the symbol for constituent elements are s and o.the valency for sulphur is 2, and the valency for oxygen is 2. So when the superscrit becomes subscript the formula should be SO. But why does sulphur have 4 as superscript and oxygen has 2 as superscript. On crossing the Valencies the formula becomes SO2. My question is why the superscript of s is 4?

Grade:

2 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
10 years ago
In SO2 molecule actually the sulphur atom is in +4 oxidation state.Sulphur can have oxidation state of +2,+4 and +6.In SO2 molecule S in +4 oxidation state,so the formula will be SO2.Its an covalent compound and not an ionic one.
Thanks & regards
Aarti Gupta
askiitians Faculty
Aditya jain
38 Points
6 years ago
Sulphur can have a valency of 4 and 6 also. Sulphur can have a valency of 4 and 6 also. Sulphur can have a valency of 4 and 6 also.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free