what is reductional process in reproduction? what exactly is meiosis ? definition for mitosis?

what is reductional process in reproduction?
what exactly is meiosis ?
definition for mitosis?

Grade:11

2 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
9 years ago
Reproduction is a process which is fundamental to all known life.It is an biological process by which new individuals(offsprings) are produced from thier parents.
In sexual reproduction there are two types of divisions occurs-
1.Mitosis
2.Meiosis

Meiosis - This process of cell division occurs in gametic cells.It involves formation of four resultant cells from original cells.There will be reduction in number of chromosomes as that of parent cells in daughter cells.So this is reductional process in reproduction.This process involves two phases-.Meiosis I,Meiosis II
Mitosis – The process of mitosis occurs in somatic cells.Somatic cells are the cells other than gametic cells oof our body.In mitosis original cell divided to form two daughter cells.The number of chromosomes are same in daughter cells as that of parent cell.
Raheema Javed
156 Points
9 years ago
Reduction division: The first cell division in meiosis, the process by which germ cells are formed. In reduction division, the chromosome number is reduced from diploid (46 chromosomes) to haploid (23 chromosomes). Also known as first meiotic division and first meiosis.

Meiosis is a special type of cell division necessary for sexual reproduction which occurs or has occurred in all eukaryotes, including animals, plants and fungi, including both multi-celled and single-celled organisms. The number of sets of chromosomes in the cell undergoing meiosis is reduced to half the original number, typically from two sets (diploid) to one set (haploid).Since meiosis has halved the number of sets of chromosomes, when two gametes fuse during fertilisation, the number of sets of chromosomes in the resulting zygote is restored to the original number.Meiotic division occurs in two stages, meiosis I and meiosis II, dividing the cells once at each stage.
Meiosis I is called the reduction division because Meiosis I separates homologous chromosomes, producing two haploid cells (N chromosomes, 23 in humans).

Mitosis is the process, in the cell cycle, by which the chromosomes in the cell nucleus are separated into two identical sets of chromosomes, each in its own nucleus.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free