What is omega please tell me and also that what is difference between angular speed and angular velocity

What is omega please tell me and also that what is difference between angular speed and angular velocity

Grade:10

2 Answers

Eshan
askIITians Faculty 2095 Points
5 years ago
Dear student,

\Omegadenotes the angular speed/ angular velocity. Just like linear speed is distance travelled per unit time, angular speed is the angle swiped by motion of an object in circular path per unit time. When the direction of angular speed is mentioned(by positive or negative sign), it is called as angular velocity.

Hope it helps.
Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
The same difference between velocity and speed in general. Speed is just one number that tells me at what rate something is moving, regardless of direction, while velocity additionally tells me in what direction that thing is moving. For angular momentum: angular speed tells me how fast something is rotating around some axis, while angular the velocity additionally tells me around which axis that thing is rotating. Clearly I need to supply a direction to specify what I mean by angular velocity, since the axis of rotation points in a particular direction, once I make a choice of convention where I state that the axis of rotation always points in direction around which the body rotates clockwise (or anti-clockwise, it's just a choice I have to make which will then uniquely determine the axis of rotation for a rotating body)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free