jay here my q is that as we move from bottom to top IN PERIODIC TABLE the no of SHELLS decreases. So, the electron holding force also increases [1/r2] .therefore as we move down wards vice versa occurs. i.e the holding force decreases.therefore , as we move downwards the reactivity must increase as it easily loses the electron. IS THIS CORRECT?

jay here
           my q is that as we move from bottom to top IN PERIODIC TABLE the no of SHELLS decreases. So, the electron holding force also increases [1/r2] .therefore as we move down wards vice versa occurs. i.e the holding force decreases.therefore , as we move downwards the reactivity must increase as it easily loses the electron.
      IS THIS  CORRECT?

Grade:10

1 Answers

Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 181 Points
9 years ago
Yes,
If we are talking about metals, the reactivity increases. Because the holding power of the nucleus for the valence electrons decreases. But for the non-metals the reactivity decreases as they gain an electron to complete their octet and hence as we move down the periodic table, the power of holding the gained electron decreases and so the reactivity decreases.
Thanks and Regards
Apoorva Arora
IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free