A water tank has steps inside it. A monkey is sitting on the topmost step (i.e. the first step).The water level is on the ninth step. i) He jumps 3 steps down and then jumps back 2 up. In how many jumps will he reach the water level? ii) After drinking water he wants to go back. For this he jumps 4 steps up and then jumps back 2 steps down in every move. In how many jumps will he reach back the top step? iii) If the number of steps moved down is represented by negative integers and the number of steps moved up by positive integers, represent his move in part (i) and (ii) by completing the following a) −3 + 2 − ... = −8 b) 4 – 2 + …. = 8 In (a) the sum (−8) represents going down by 8 steps. So, what will the sum 8 in (b) represent?

A water tank has steps inside it. A monkey is sitting on the topmost step (i.e. the first step).The water level is on the ninth step.
i) He jumps 3 steps down and then jumps back 2 up. In how many jumps will he reach the water level?
ii) After drinking water he wants to go back. For this he jumps 4 steps up and then jumps back 2 steps down in every move. In how many jumps will he reach back the top step?
iii) If the number of steps moved down is represented by negative integers and the number of steps moved up by positive integers, represent his move in part (i) and (ii) by completing the following
a) −3 + 2 − ... = −8
b) 4 – 2 + …. = 8
In (a) the sum (−8) represents going down by 8 steps. So, what will the sum 8 in (b) represent?

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Pawan Prajapati
askIITians Faculty 60787 Points
2 years ago
Our expert is working on this Class X Maths answer. We will update the answer very soon.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free