JEE Advanced 2014 Counselling Procedure: Know How Seats Will Be Allotted To You?
JEE Advanced 2014 Counselling Procedure has five steps:
- Registering for JEE Advanced Counselling,
- Filling up choices and locking them,
- Seat Allotment,
- Reporting to Allotted Colleges, and
- Provisional Admission of Students.
Only eligible candidates who make it to the JEE Advanced 2014 Merit List are eligible to participate in JEE Advanced counselling.
Step-by-step JEE Advanced 2014 Counselling Process:
1.Registration for JEE Advanced Counselling:
Eligible students will have to register online for counselling. JEE Advanced 2014 counselling dates for filling up course and institute choices online have been announced as June 20 to 24, 2014.
Click here to register online at the JEE Advanced Online Counselling Portal (JCOP)!
Fill in the required details and generate User ID and password.
2.JEE Advanced 2014 Choice Filling:
Candidates should indicate their choice of courses, branches and institutes from the available list in order of their preference. They can choose as many courses as they like and edit them, change the order, and add new courses to their list till they lock their choices.
However, candidates should certainly lock their choices by June 24 as after that whatever choices they have made will automatically be locked.
- Female candidates interested in working in mines should note that according to the Section 46 (1) of the Mines Act, 1952, women cannot be employed in a mine which is below ground. In a mine, which is above ground too, women can work only between 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Hence, ISM Dhanbad does not accept female candidates in its Mining Engineering and Mining Machinery Engineering courses. However, IIT Kharagpur and IIT-BHU does not have such restrictions in similar programmes they offer.
- Candidates who wish to join Architecture courses at the IITs need to pass an Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) conducted at the seven Zonal IITs. AAT 2014 will be conducted on June 26, 2014. Students will need to choose B.Arch at IIT Kharagpur or IIT Roorkee as their choice during online counseling and register for the Aptitude Test between June 20 and June 24, 2013 too. The original admit card for the JEE Advanced 2014 will be used for AAT and AAT results will be declared by June 29, 2014. Only those students who clear this test will be considered for admission to the course. However, seats will be allotted solely on the basis of JEE Advanced AIR and category rank of a candidate.
JEE Advanced 2014 Seat Allocation is done strictly on the basis of All India rank (AIR) and category rank obtained by the candidates and their preferences as indicated during the online counseling process.
For an XYZ course in an IIT, there are 20 seats available and 100 students indicate their preference for it then, student with the highest AIR will be given priority, which will be declared as the Opening Rank for the course.
The candidate with the lowest AIR selected for the course will be the one who still ranks higher than 80 students who were not selected for the course. His or her AIR will be known as the Closing Rank of the course, as the admission for the course is closed for students who have AIR below that rank.
The scores corresponding to the Closing Rank of the course is known as the JEE Advanced cutoff scores of that course.
For all the reserved category seats, students with highest rank in their respective categories will be selected. Hence, Opening Rank, Closing Rank and cutoffs for different categories may vary for each course.
- At the time of counselling, students will also have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered doctor in the prescribed format which states that they are fit enough to pursue the course they are interested in.
- Students who opt for Mining Engineering, Mining Machinery Engineering, Petroleum Engineering or Integrated M.Sc programs in Geology and Geophysics have to submit a certificate from a registered specialist doctor stating that they do not have any form of colour blindness. They also need to have visual acuity standards as stated by DGMS Circular 14 of 1972 with or without glasses. Please remember that people having one-eyed vision are not allowed to work underground.
As per JEE Advanced 2014 Counselling Schedule, seat allocation will be completed in three rounds. Students should check their status after each round as the seats allotted to them may get upgraded as other students take up seats they prefer or withdraw from courses.
1.Reporting to Allotted Colleges:
As soon as a candidate sees that a seat is allotted to him or her, he or she should report to the respective Zonal IIT. Candidates need to be there in person for document verification and fee payment process.
For document verification, students need to carry the originals and one attested copy of the following documents:
- Printout of the Seat Allotment letter from JCOP Portal,
- Original Admit Card of the exam,
- Duly filled Application Form (Annexure 1 of the Information Brochure),
- Duly filled Medical Examination Report (Annexure 2 of the Information Brochure),
- Proof of Date of Birth: Class X certificate or Birth Certificate
- Mark Sheet and Certificate of Passing of Class XII or Qualifying Exam
- Category Certificate for OBC (NCL), SC, ST, PwD, and DS candidates) in the prescribed format,
- Attested copy of the Passport with name, photo and nationality (for foreign nationals),
- Registration Fees of Rs 60,000 in the form of Demand Draft for Rs. 60,000 (Rs.20,000 for SC, ST category) drawn in favor of Organizing Chairman, JEE (Advanced)-2013, payable at New Delhi. It will be adjusted against the tuition fee which has to be paid at the time of admission.
- Candidate who does not report to the Zonal IIT before the specified deadline will not be considered for seat allotment and their seats will be forfeited.
- In case a student is offered an upgradation, he or she must forfeit the claim on the seat allotted to them previously to accept the upgraded seat
2. Provisional Admission of Students:
Once the documents are verified and fee is paid, institutes will issue a final allotment letter to students and they are granted provisional admission. However, if students fail to meet other eligibility criteria or found to be faking any of their records, their admission will immediately be deemed cancelled.
- Other institutions also use JEE Advanced 2014 Results for admission to their courses. However, they are not part of the centralized counselling process of JEE Advanced 2014. Their names will be published on the official exam website later and students can contact them directly for admission to their courses.
For guidance on which IIT and which course to choose, contact ex-IITians by filling up the form below: