>> IIT JEE
>> Eligibility Criteria
IIT JEE Eligibility: Can I appear for the JEE exam?
Eligibility for IIT JEE 2014 was expected to change. Recent IIT news indicated that IIT JEE 2014 eligibility criteria might change and Top 20 percentile norm might be replaced by common cut-off marks of 75 per cent in Class XII board marks. However, latest news about IIT JEE eligibility says that the criteria will remain the same as IIT JEE 2013 as Joint Admission Board (JAB) of IITs is waiting to collect more data before working on any changes in the present scheme.
Eligibility for JEE Main 2014
- Date of Birth: Only candidates born on or after October 01, 1989 are eligible to appear for IIT EE 2014. Relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit is given to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates. Hence, SC, ST and PwD candidates born on or after October 01, 1984 are eligible for IIT JEE 2014.
* Please note that Date of Birth recorded on the certificate of Class 10 board exams, secondary education board pre-University system will be considered final.
- Year of Passing Qualifying Examination (QE): Only candidates who have passed their Class XII in 2012, 2013 or 2014 are eligible to appear for JEE Main 2014. Students whose Class 12 board exam results are to be declared after June 2014 will not be eligible to sit for IIT JEE 2014.
* Students, who appeared for Class 12 board exam in 2011 and cleared it in the second attempt in 2012, will not be eligible for IIT JEE 2014. Similarly, students must have taken at least five subjects in Class 12 to be eligible for JEE Main 2014.
- Number of Attempts for JEE Main 2014: Students can appear for JEE Main for a maximum of three times. However, number of attempts allowed for JEE Advanced is only two.
* For engineering institutes, other than IITs and ISM Dhanbad, admissions are done only on the basis of JEE Main rank. Hence, engineering aspirants can take JEE Main thrice to be able to get an entry in engineering courses offered by these other institutes.
Eligibility for IIT JEE or JEE Advanced 2014
One will have to apply for JEE Advanced 2014 or IIT JEE 2014 after JEE Main 2014 results are declared. Do check the eligibility for IIT JEE 2014 carefully before you apply for it:
- Top 150000 rank holders in JEE Main: Only top 150000 rank holders in JEE Main 2014 merit lists for all the categories will be able to apply for JEE Advanced 2014. The distribution of top candidates in different merit lists that will be allowed to sit for IIT JEE 2014 will be as follows:
- Top 75,750 (50.5 %) candidates from Common Merit List
- Top 40,500 (27%) candidates from Other Backward Classes – Non-creamy layer OBC (NCL) merit list
- Top 22,500 (15 %) candidates from Scheduled Caste (SC) merit list
- Top 11,250 (7.5 %) candidates from Scheduled Tribe (ST) merit list
As per Government of India norms, 3% of the candidates in the merit lists of each category will be Physically Disabled (PD) candidates.
- Minimum Marks in Qualifying Examination (QE): For admission to IITs and ISM Dhanbad, the top 150000 candidates will have to prove that they are top 20 percentile of successful candidates in their respective categories in Class 12 board exams.
If the Board does not provide information about what is the their cut-off score for top 20 percentilers in different categories, candidates will have to produce a certificate from the concerned Board to prove that they do fall within the acceptable percentile range. Otherwise, CBSE cut-off score for Top 20 percentile for the respective category of the students will be considered binding.
* Similarly, at the time of IIT JEE counseling, students will have to produce a certificate specifying their marks if their Board only awards letter grades to students and do not mention equivalent percentage of marks on the grade sheet. In case, such a certificate is not submitted, the decision of the Joint Implementation Committee (JIC) will be deemed final.
- Number of Attempts for JEE Advanced 2014 or IIT JEE 2014: An individual can attempt IIT JEE for a maximum of two in consecutive years. Candidates who attempted Class 12 board exams 2013 for the first time and cleared it or those who will attempt Class 12 board exams in 2014 for the first time and clear it will be eligible to appear for IIT JEE 2014, by qualifying in Paper - I of JEE Main 2014.
* Those who have already attempted IIT JEE in 2012 or earlier cannot sit for JEE Advanced 2014.
- Candidates who have already cracked IIT JEE 2013: The practice of accepting admission in any of the prestigious IITs, IIT-BHU or ISM Dhanbad and not pursuing the course (leaving the seat vacant) is frowned upon. Hence, students – who cracked IIT JEE 2013, were admitted to any of the IIT JEE colleges, accepted it by paying the registration fee, and then decided to leave the seat vacant – will not be allowed to sit for JEE Advanced 2014.
* Do remember:
- Students’ admission might be cancelled if their certificates or documents are found to be fake at any time – during counselling or even after admission to an institute.
- Any decision taken by IIT JAB regarding eligibility criteria or admission of an applicant will be considered final.
IIT JEE Eligibility for Droppers
Students can appear for IIT JEE 2014 (JEE Advanced 2014), only if they have appeared for Class XII exams in 2013 (for the first time) or 2014 and are born on or after October 1, 1989. Otherwise, they are not eligible for IIT JEE 2014.
If you have any questions or doubts regarding IIT JEE eligibility criteria, you can contact our Askiitian experts at email@example.com. Our experts have first-hand experience of cracking IIT JEE and studying at IITs and know ins-and-outs of the IIT JE exam.