Please explain the concept of total internal reflection and what kind of questions are asked on this topic in IIT JEE and AIEEE? Please help me

Please explain the concept of total internal reflection and what kind of questions are asked on this topic in IIT JEE and AIEEE?

Please help me

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

Gaurav Sharma
19 Points
14 years ago

Total Internal Reflection
When light crosses a boundary between materials with different refractive indices, the light beam will be partially refracted at the boundary surface, and partially reflected. However, if the angle of incidence is greater (i.e. the ray is closer to being parallel to the boundary) than the critical angle — the angle of incidence at which light is refracted such that it travels along the boundary — then the light will stop crossing the boundary altogether and instead be totally reflected back internally. This can only occur where light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to one with a lower refractive index. For example, it will occur when passing from glass to air, but not when passing from air to glass.
IIT JEE asks questions on Total Internal Reflection mostly on the application of the concept in normal practice.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free