Question 15. 5 You have learnt that a travelling wave in one dimension is represented by a function y = f (x, t) where x and t must appear in the combination x – v t or x + v t, i.e. y = f (x ± v t). Is the converse true? Examine if the following functions for y can possibly represent a travelling wave :(a) (x – vt )2 (b) log [(x + vt)/x0] (c) 1/(x + vt)Answer in ncert is c. Why?

Question 15. 5 You have learnt that a travelling wave in one dimension is represented by a function y = f (x, t) where x and t must appear in the combination x – v t or x + v t, i.e. y = f (x ± v t). Is the converse true? Examine if the following functions for y can possibly represent a travelling wave :(a) (x – vt )2 (b) log [(x + vt)/x0] (c) 1/(x + vt)Answer in ncert is c. Why?

Grade:12th pass

4 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
6 years ago
No, the converse is not true. The basic requirement for a wave function to represent a travelling wave is that for all values of x and f, wave function must have a finite value. Out of the given functions for y only (iii) satisfies this condition. The other three functions (i), (ii) and (iv) cannot represent a travelling wave as the necessary condition is not satisfied by these functions
aritra maity
42 Points
6 years ago
PLEASE EXPLAIN  HOW OPTION C SATISFY THE CONDITION OF TRAVELLING WAVE? WHY THE OTHERS DID NOT? GIVE THE SOLUTION.

Irene sunil
11 Points
6 years ago
none of them can have a finite value .the answer is none of the options . the function for a travelling wave is not in the options . and the converse is not true

randheer
19 Points
5 years ago
The converse is not true. An obvious requirement for an acceptable function for a
travelling wave is that it should be finite everywhere and at all times.
none of them is finite. so answer is all are non travelling wave.
thanks

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free