dear sir/madam, i am a student of class eleventh and as i was studying wave motion i learnt that any electromagnetic wave takes birth by the vibration of mutually perpendiculur electrical and magnetic fields. I was not able to grasp the exact meaning of this statement,so i would be glad if you help me out on this issue by giving me a more descriptive answer. My another question are that light being an electromagnetic wave would take birth the vibration of hte mutualy perpendiculur electrical and magnetic field but still we can produe light when both of them are absent like in candle(as it may appear), this point was also confusing me. wishing for a quick reply. aviral tripathi

dear sir/madam,

i am a student of class eleventh and as i was studying wave motion i learnt that any electromagnetic wave takes birth by the vibration of mutually perpendiculur electrical and magnetic fields.

I was not able to grasp the exact meaning of this statement,so i would be glad if you help me out on this issue by giving me a more descriptive answer.

My another question are that light being an electromagnetic wave would take birth the vibration of hte mutualy perpendiculur electrical and magnetic field but still we can produe light when both of them are absent like in candle(as it may appear), this point was also confusing me.

wishing for a quick reply.

aviral tripathi

Grade:12

2 Answers

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
9 years ago
The term electromagnetic radiation, coined by Sir James Clerk Maxwell, is derived from the characteristic electric and magnetic properties common to all forms of this wave-like energy, as manifested by the generation of both electrical and magnetic oscillating fields as the waves propagate through space. Visible light represents only a small portion of the entire spectrum of electromagnetic radiation (as categorized in Figure 1), which extends from high-frequency cosmic and gamma rays through X-rays, ultraviolet light, infrared radiation, and microwaves, down to very low frequency long-wavelength radio waves.

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
9 years ago
245-1683_z1.PNG245-315_z2.PNG

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free