How do we know that alternate compressions and rarefactions are formed in air when a sound propagates in air which is just a similar case of formation of compressions and rarefactions in a slinky when a longitudinal wave propagates through the slinky? Is there any experiment to prove the truth of formation of compressions and rarefactions when a sound propagates in air?

How do we know that alternate compressions and rarefactions are formed in air when a sound propagates in air which is just a similar case of formation of compressions and rarefactions in a slinky when a longitudinal wave propagates through the slinky? Is there any experiment to prove the truth of formation of compressions and rarefactions when a sound propagates in air?   

Grade:

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

ompression is a higher than normal air-pressure, rarefaction is lower than normal air-pressure.

together these two elements make up a sound wave, which is what we hear when something is hit or played.

if you look at any normal visual representation of a soundwave, the humps above the middle line are called compression, the humps below, rarefaction.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

vipul agrawal
19 Points
13 years ago

Dear sir

Good noon,

My question actually was how will we prove experimemtally THAT ALTERNATE COMPRESSIONS AND RAREFACTIONS are formed in any material say air when a sound wave travells through the material just like we see in a slinky when we make to vibrate the slinky in a horizonal surface. I hope  you will be kind enough to suggest me any experiment. Thanks a lot.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free