There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off

what will happen to shape of fringes when we use slits instead of pin holes in young experiment for interference?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Shape will be circular........

A train of plane light waves is incident on a barrier containing two narrow slits separated by a distance’d’. The widths of the slits are small compared with wavelength of the light used, so that interference occurs in the region where the light from S1 overlaps that from S2.

A series of alternately bright and dark bands can be observed on a screen placed in this region of overlap.

The variation in light intensity along the screen near the centre O shown in the figure

Now consider a point P on the screen. The phase difference between the waves at P is θ, where

θ= 2π/λ ΔPo

(where ΔPo is optical path difference, ΔPo=ΔPg; ΔPg  being the geometrical path difference.)

= 2π/λ  [ S2P - S1P ] (here λ = 1 in air)

As     As, D >> d,

S2P - S1P ≈  λ d sinθ

sin θλ ≈ tanθ( = y/D).

[for very small θ]

Thus, θ = 2π/λ (dy/D)

For constructive interference,

θ = 2nλ    (n = 0, 1, 2...)

⇒  2π/λ (dy/D) = 2nπ     ⇒ y = n λD/d

Similarly for destructive interference,

y = (2n - 1) λD/2d  (n = 1, 2 ...)

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Wave Motion

what is the principle of superposition?
The principle of superposition: superposition principle , also known as superposition property, states that, for all linear systems, the net response at a given place and time caused by two ...
BOLLU SRINIVAS one year ago
In physics and systems theory , the superposition principle also known as superposition property , states that, for all linear systems , the net response at a given place and time caused by ...
RAKESH CHINDAM one year ago
). Y + X ) produces response ( B + A then input ( Y produces response B and input X produces response A , the net response at a given place and time caused by two or more stimuli is the sum ...
pa1 one year ago
I have many books for physics can you help me which book is good for theory and which are numerical I see ncert is not good I have ABC book.ncert book rudiments book.h c verma books refer to this link
Nishant Vora 2 months ago
for theory it is better to use modern abc and ncert i am also a student i use modern abc and for numericals use hcv pradeep modern abc or u can do previous year questions of cbse HAPPY TO...
prateek 8 days ago
Is the motion of a pendulum simple harmonic..........................
HI MANICHANDRA, The motion of a simple pendulum is very close to Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM). SHM results whenever a restoring force is proportional to the displacement, a relationship...
Gowri sankar 9 months ago
helo mani chandra.... motion of pendulum is a simple harmonic motion because of it is one type of...
mohan 9 months ago
Hello Mani Small Angle Approximation and Simple Harmonic Motion. With the assumption of small angles, the frequency and period of the pendulum are independent of the initial angular...
Gaddam Chethan 9 months ago
A And B Are Two Vectors and R Is The Resultant. For What Angle Is IT Maximum For What Angle Is It Minimum
Here is another solution: We know the expression for R=(A 2 +B 2 +2ABcos ) ½ As A 2 & B 2 are positive and constant so the value of R will be Maximum when cos is Maximum. Hence cos is...
Piyush Behera 13 days ago
@Manas Shukla how can you say that at =180 they cancel out each other ,It is not given that both are equal ,so the term “cancel out each other” doesnot suit.However it can be say that the...
Piyush Behera 13 days ago
R is maximum when angle between them is 0 degrees since they just get added. R is minimum when vectors cancel out the effects of one another angle between them being 180 degrees
Manas Shukla 13 days ago
A cyclotron is used to obtain 2 MeV protons. If the frequency is 5MHz and potential is 20KV. The magnetic field necessary for resonance is
@ sridhar u can use the following formula to get the right answer ., f = bq / 2m pie no need of potential and proton energy . by solving u will get 2vmev = ½ m v square u will get v from...
Umakant biswal 9 days ago
how to study this lesson and how to make my self prepared with this topic
@SHIVA this chapter completely depends upon the assumption capacity , frst of all read it from ncert , your 30 percent of concept will be cleared from that only , after that take out...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off

More Questions On Wave Motion

Ask Experts