Three rods of identical cross-sectional area are made from the same metal, form the sides of an isosceles triangle ABC right angled at B. The points A and B are maintained at temperature T and √2 T respectively in steady state. Assume that only heat conduction takes place. Then a) Rate of heat flow in BA is equal to rate of heat flow inb CA b) Temperature gradient across CA is equal to the temperature gradient across BA I got the temperature at C as 3T/1+ √2. Both a and b are correct. I dont understand how. Rate of flow in BA will be equal to the rate of heat flow in BCA (not CA) again temperature gradient will be same across BCA Help

Three rods of identical cross-sectional area are made from the same metal, form the sides of an isosceles triangle ABC right angled at B. The points A and B are maintained at temperature T and √2 T respectively in steady state. Assume that only heat conduction takes place. Then

a) Rate of heat flow in BA is equal to rate of heat flow inb CA

b) Temperature gradient across CA is equal to the temperature gradient across BA

I got the temperature at C as 3T/1+√2.

Both a and b are correct.

I dont understand how.

Rate of flow in BA will be equal to the rate of heat flow in BCA (not CA)

again temperature gradient will be same across BCA

Help

Grade:12

1 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
13 years ago

DEAR ABDUL QUADEER,

your calculations are absolutely correct and the two points given by you are also true....

hence there may be some error in the problem..!!!

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.
Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.
Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar..  

AMAN BANSAL

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free