please see attachment first then read this remaining question if the second step is rate determining step then the order od rxⁿ wrt NO is

please see attachment  first then read this remaining  question

if the second step is rate determining  step then the order od rxⁿ  wrt NO is

Question Image
Grade:12

8 Answers

Sunil Kumar FP
askIITians Faculty 183 Points
9 years ago
Since here the cesond step is rate determing therefore thge proceed of the reaction will depend on the second step which is the slowest step.
The order of the reaction will be-k[NOBr2][NO]
Thus it is clear from the above reaction that the order is one with respect to NO
Shivam
39 Points
9 years ago
sir but order is determined  experimentally so how can we determine order with just stoichiometry here in the rate law the powers on NOBr2 and NO should be x and y so why you taken it 1 & 1
Sunil Kumar FP
9 years ago
yes you are correct but i missed one step
i told that rate =k[NOBr2][NO]
But rate of formation of NOBr2=k1[NO][Br2]
therefore,rate=kk1[NO]^2[Br2]
Thus the rate with respect to NO will be 2 and the overall rate is 3
2+1 =from NO and Br2
Shivam
39 Points
9 years ago
but sir I can't understand whh you wrote rate=k[NOBr2][NO] instead of k[NO] x[NOBr2]y
Sunil Kumar FP
9 years ago
dear friend here the second step is the rate determining step or the slowest step.
Here the slowest step is the second step.So the rate will depend on the concentration of 1 power of NO
suppose the overall reaction was given then
2NO +Br2 ------2NOBr2
here we cannot say wether the reaction is first oder or second order.Here we have to assume that let the rate =k[NO]^x[Br2]^y
but here it is clearly given that the second step is RDS.so whereever RDS will be given rate of the reaction will be equal to the sum of the coefficient.
As an example, consider the gas-phase reaction NO
2 + CO → NO + CO
2. If this reaction occurred in a single step, its reaction rate (r) would be proportional to the rate of collisions between NO2 and CO molecules r = k[NO2][CO]
In fact, however, the observed reaction rate is second order in NO2 and zero order in CO,with rate equation r = k[NO2]2. This suggests that the rate is determined by a step in which two NO2 molecules react, with the CO molecule entering at another, faster, step. A possible mechanism in two elementary steps which explains the rate equation is:

NO2 + NO2 → NO + NO3 (slow step, rate-determining)
NO3 + CO → NO2 + CO2 (fast step)

If you are still not getting please feel free to ask.
Shivam
39 Points
9 years ago
so sir r u saying that in slow steps (rds)  the x and y are equal to their stoichiometric coefficients there is nk need to determine  it lractically and it is correct as u r saying. sir if i get my answer i will conveet all your giver answers to be approved thanks and sorry for inconvenience 
britto george
96 Points
9 years ago
this is a simple question and you can get good things from solving this so just try
britto george
96 Points
9 years ago
this is easy question and you can try to solve it

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free