Is lattice energy directly proportional to ionic charecter? Plz help me..!

Is lattice energy directly proportional to ionic charecter? Plz help me..!

Grade:11

3 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
8 years ago
Lattice energy is the amount of energyreleased when one mole of the ionic solid is formed by the combination of constituent ions of the compound in gaseous state.For ex-latiice energy of sodim chloride corresponds to the energy released when 1mole of gaseous Na+ ions combine with 1mole of Cl- ions in gaseous state to form 1mole of NaCl solid.
This lattice energy can be given by modified by Coulomb’s law--
Lattice energy = k(Q1*Q2/r2)
where,
k = proportionality constant
Q1 and Q2 = charges on the ions
r = shortest distance betwee the cation and anion
This relation clears that lattice energy will be higher when charges are higher and they are at shortest distance from each other.
Now the ionic character indicated that ionic bonding contributes more in a chemical bonding.Ionic bonding which is the measure of electrostatic force of attraction between the ions is more when the oppositevely charged ions are more close to each other i.e it is also inversly proportional to the distance between them.Thus by this we can say that lattice energy is directly proportional to the ionic character.More lattice energy indicates that more amount of energy is required to seperate the ions which in turn shows that there is more force of attraction between them .ie more ionic bonding and thus more ionic character.
Adhira
9 Points
6 years ago
Disgusting not a proper answergggfgutauufdyku Zjhayjdkhdkydkyajydykysuysyisitsudoydusyksiyalysuayosiisousousoysoyaoydousiusiys6i6wotei6witwitdkysjydiyaitsitsutsutsyisoys
aman yadav
11 Points
5 years ago
your answer is so lengthier ms. aarti better u take lengthier cock and put into your ass and go for rest for next 9 months fuck u bitch....🤗🤗

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free