In the chapter Solid State Class 12, how to classify any solid or elements on the basis of their bonds i.e. covalent bond, molecular bond etc ???

In the chapter Solid State Class 12, how to classify any solid or elements on the basis of their bonds i.e. covalent bond, molecular bond etc ??? 

Grade:12

8 Answers

Suraj Prasad IIT Patna
askIITians Faculty 286 Points
7 years ago
Depending upon the type of bonding present , Solids can be divided as :

1) Covalent Solids

2) Ionic solids

3) Molecular solids

4) Metallic solids
Shreyas Patil
131 Points
7 years ago
I asked how to classify them into categories i mean elements for eg Tetraphosporous Decosides, Brass, Aluminium Phosphate or any other solid into various bond categories????
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ shreyas 
On the besic of bond present there are no such classification as tetraphosphorous decosides , and aluminium phosphates . 
Besic of the bond there are 4 types of classification 
1- Covalent solids – A network solid or covalent network solid is a chemical compound (or element) in which the atoms are bonded by covalent bonds in a continuous network extending throughout the material.. 
2- ionic solids – as u know ionic solids are bonded by the strong ionic bond , and the electrostatic force of attraction are acting upon them . 
example – sodium chloride , 
3- molecular solids – A 
molecular solid is a solid composed of molecules held together by the van der Waals forces. Because these dipole forces are weaker than covalent or ionic bonds,molecular solids are soft and have relatively low melting temperature.
they are weak forces . 
4- metallic solids – 
Metallic solids are solids composed of metal atoms that are held together by metallic bonds. These bonds are like huge molecular orbitals that span across the whole solid. This means the electrons in metallic solids are delocalized. They are not just held between a couple of atoms in a sigma bond.
example – a sheet of graphite . 
AND TELL ME WHERE U SAW SUCH CLASSIFICATION IN SOLID STATE , 
U CAN MENTION THE NCERT PAGE NO. ALSO 
ALL THE BEST ..

Shreyas Patil
131 Points
7 years ago
NCERT Chemistry Class 12 Chapter 1 Pg no. 6 , intext question 1.6. The question is asked thats i wanna ask.
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
Ok , thats the same thing i told , u just need to see the configuration of examples . 
i am giving that below 
potassium sulphate – ionic solid 
tin – mettalic solid 
benzene – molecular (non polar ) solid . 
urea – polar molecular solid 
ammonia – polar molecular solid 
water – hydrogen bonded molecular solid 
zinc sulphide – ionic solid 
graphite – covalent solid 
rubidium – metallic solid 
argon – non polar molecular solid 
silicon carbide – covalent solid 
HOPE IT HELPS , 
IF ANY MORE DOUBT , THEN FEEL FREE TO ASK ..
Shreyas Patil
131 Points
7 years ago
Sorry but i didnt understood it well will you please elaborate. Soliciting your kind co-operation in this regard. 
Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ shreyas , 
Can i know the reason of dispproval ?? you told me to solve intext question 1.6 and i solved that , and if i am correct there are no wrong in that answer . and u asked about the classification , i explained you the 4 types of classification , that is ionic , covalent , molecular , and mettalic . 
So, how can i elaborate more ?? 
u already know what the ionic solids are , ryt ?? that are solids which have electrostatic force of attraction , and one cation and one anion will combine to form that , 
so, fr that reason i wrote zinc sulphide as ionic , as znso4 , zn obtain + charge and so4 obtain -2 charge . 
Same goes for rest example .. 
and donot worry , this type of ques will not come in board . i could guarentee you on that , this is only to test your understanding . 
HOPE IT HELPS ...
Rohit kumar
13 Points
7 years ago
Molecular, =molecules as constituent particles Metallic = kernels and Mobile electrons are constituent particles e.g feet cu Covalent = non metal atom linked to adjacent atom by Covalent bond are constituent particles e. G Dimond, sic etcIonic, = positive and negative ions are constituent particle e.g nacl , mgo

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free