I am an issue understanding the changes that take place when we decrease the pressure of a reaction. I have understood that when we increase the pressure the side having more number of moles wants its moles to go to the other side where it is more empty(this is how I learnt it). But I fail to understand why if we decrease the pressure by increasing volume the side having less moles goes to the side having more moles? Also in the case of adding inert gases why does the equilibrium shift in the direction in which larger no of moles of gas are formed? Please help.

I am an issue understanding the changes that take place when we decrease the pressure of a reaction. I have understood that when we increase the pressure the side having more number of moles wants its moles to go to the other side where it is more empty(this is how I learnt it). But I fail to understand why if we decrease the pressure by increasing volume the side having less moles goes to the side having more moles? Also in the case of adding inert gases why does the equilibrium shift in the direction in which larger no of moles of gas are formed? Please help.

Grade:12

1 Answers

Gopesh Kumar IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 11 Points
9 years ago
when you increase the pressure of the reaction with \Delta n_{g}^{} >0. It goes backwards, or in reverse reaction. If we decrease the pressure it will go in forward reaction. The reverse is true for the \Delta n^{_{g}}<0. if \Delta n^{_{g}}=0, the reaction is independent of change in volume. Now, Addition of a noble gas at constant pressure, should be treated as increase in volume. And addition of a noble gas at constant volume should be treated as increase in pressure and the direction of shift of reaction should be calculated accordingly.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free