Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

What is the difference between a base and a nucleophile?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear sudarshan

Nucleophilicity and electrophilicity are kinetic descriptions. Basicity and acidity are thermodynamic descriptions. Under irreversible (i.e. kinetic) conditions, stronger nucleophiles and stronger electrophiles form the products. Under reversible, equilibrium (i.e. thermodynamic) conditions, stronger bases and acids form the products, although at first, the nucleophiles might react to form an intermediate species.

bases abstract hydrogens and nucleophiles attack carbons (electrophiles)
all nucleophiles are bases, but not all bases can act as nucleophiles.
you should pay attention to steric that can prevent attacking carbon forcing the nucleophile to act as a base abstracting hydrogen

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

arrange the following in order of increasing vanderwall`s radius.F ,Cl ,O ,Ne ,N
Ne due to increase in effective nuclear charge from to right along the period radius decrease. Cl has an extra orbit. so it has largest radius.
2017 years ago
Current 10 amp passed througj cuso4 for 32min 10 sec.if 896ml oxy liberated at stp calculate efficiency of cell
from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = 0.896/22.4 = 0.04 efficiency = (0.1-0.04)/0.1 * 100 => 60%
Vikas TU one month ago
Nmm thanks buddy.a small mistake valency factor n=4.because 2h2o gives o2 + 4h^+ +4eso the moles=.05 nd the answer is 80%
Pulkit Khandelwal one month ago
The n factor of potassium ferro cyanide in acidic medium
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
n factor is the no of electron transfer for single atom or the oxidation state of central atom . in the complex K4{FE(CN)6} 4(1)+X+6(-1)=0 X-2 =0 SO, X= +2 SO, HERE THE N FACTOR IS +2 HOPE...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
which is the strongest base WITH explanation CH​3 ---CO----OH CF3----CO---OH CH3-----CH2---CO---OH CCl-----CO---OH
CH 3 -----CH 2 ---CO---OH should be the strongest base as ethyl group woul show highes + I effect as compare to other options. CF3 AND CCl3 would show -I effect hence restricting the basic...
2017 years ago
Why isn`t size of indium lesser than that of gallium becoz of shielding effect ?
The simple reason is: Due to d- block elements contraction. and radii of 4d series and 5d series is almost equal due to lanthanide contraction.
Vikas TU 9 days ago
WHAT IS MEANT BY SOLUTION.................................................?
Solution is the mixture of many or atleast two differnt propertiesess materials. The minor part is the solute and the major part is the solvent. Both get mixed and is called the solution.
2017 years ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn