ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
one year ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 5 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
Explain this statement “The electromagnetic theory also predicts that me frequency of radition emitted by a revolving charged body is equal to the frequency of revelution. In ruther ford’s...

yes that is for sure. and this is what called the drawback of the rutherford model of atom. Because if it will move continuosly with change in angular frequency it will emit energy and thus...
  img

Yes, I know that it is drawback of rutherford model of atom but I cant understand the above statement can you elabrate!

Vineeth 5 months ago
a gaseous reaction, A2(g) =B(g) + 1/2C(g) shows increase in pressure from 100 mm to 120 mm in 5 min.The rate of disaapearnce of A2.?

Given the reaction is ..................................A2(g) …..............=......B(g)...... +....... 1/2C(g)...
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

sir but the ans is 8 mm/min.

Shriya Mehrotra 5 months ago

yes sir got it..thanks..

Shriya Mehrotra 5 months ago
what volume of concentrated HCL that is 36% HCL by mass and has dens ity of 1.18 g/cm3 is required yo produce 8.25L of a solution with pH of 1.77

ph=1.77 -log[H+]=1.77 [H+]=.588M mole of HCl=.588*8.25=.485mole let the volume of Hcl be V now .36*V*1.18=.485 V=1.14L
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago

ph=1.77-log[H+]=1.77[H+]=.588Mmole of HCl=.588*8.25=.485molelet the volume of Hcl be Vnow .36*V*1.18=.485 V=1.14L

TEJKIRAT SINGH one month ago
The limiting reactant when reacting 88g of Sodium with 88g of Chlorine to get Sodium Chloride is the?

Before determining the limiting reactant, one must take into account the mole ratio. Therefore, always start with a balanced chemical equation. 2Na(s) + Cl2(g) --> 2NaCl(s) 88g ........88g...

vikas yadav 18 days ago

Or you can pick one reactant as the "limiting reactant" and see how much of the other reactant you will need. Suppose we assume Na is the limiting reactant. How much Cl2 will be needed? 88g...

vikas yadav 18 days ago

plz approve!

vikas yadav 18 days ago
what is more stable benzylic or allyic ?

An allylic cation is a carbocation with the positive charge on an allylic carbon; an allylic carbon is a carbon adjacent to an sp2 carbon of an alkene. CH2=CHC + HR ALLYLIC CARBON A benzylic...
  img
Aarti Gupta 7 months ago

since benzylic cation can delocaize the electrons more efficiently than alylic

Abhishek 3 months ago
Can anyone help me how to differentiate b/w nucleophile & base during rxn with halo – compounds? I know that nucleophile do substitution & base do elimination. But, when such rxn is given, I...

Please tell me how would I know that I would use it as nucleophile for substitution or base for elimination. Talking to the point, I want to know the major difference b/w nucleophile & base...

Shivam Chopra 2 months ago

In some cases a nucleophile can act as a good base also When a 1 0 alkyl halide (2 0 also in most cases) is involved in the reaction substitution happens. Elimination reactions occur for 3 0...

viswanath 2 months ago

Thanks for trying. I just want a major difference b/w nucleophile & a base except for that nucleophile attack on carbon & base on hydrogen.

Shivam Chopra 2 months ago
What are hydrocarbons ?

The term ‘hydrocarbon’ is self –explanatory which refers to the compounds formed by combination of carbon and hydrogen only. Hydrocarbons have very important role in our...
  img
Pankaj 2 months ago

A hydrocarbon is an organic compound containing carbon and hydrogen only.

Jacob james 2 months ago
View all Questions »