ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

6 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
one year ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Why vapour pressure does not depend on surface area?

Hello student Vapour pressure does not depend upon the surface area bacause vapours produced from the surface increases on increasing the surface area. Therefore the ratio of numbers of...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 6 months ago

If we prepare a solution i.e., we dissolve small amount of solute in excess of solvent. We see that on the surface of the liquid of solution, number of solvent molecules became less bacause...
  img
Raheema Javed 6 months ago
All mater in universe is made of atoms , but the basic unit of living being is cell . whay it is siven that name ? Is cells are made up of large no of atoms?

Well, its actual answer lies in their respective definitions. Cell is the basic structural and functional unit of living organisms whereas Atom is the smallest unit of a chemical element....

Yash Jain 7 months ago

cells are made up of complexes. in other words, cell is itself a colletion of large no of carbohydrates and protien molecules. eg- you already know that cell contains glucose, and glucose...

Chirag Goel 7 months ago

cell is made up of atoms mainly carbon and hydrogen and also little magnesium,potassium,calcium,iron and so on. All the cells be it brain cells, skin cells or any cell, it is made up of...

parthasarathy 6 months ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 7 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
106 th element belongs to which block?

It belongs to `d` block.

Naga Himanshu one month ago

According to electronic configuration of Seaborgium (106 element) i.e. [Rn] 7s 2 5f 1 4 6d 4 outermost orbital is ‘ d’. So from this representation we can say it belongs to ‘d’ block.

Naga Himanshu one month ago

its..right..but cn u explain the ans. plz....

mansi dabriwal one month ago
Is “optically active” the same as “ chiral carbon” ?

Optically active is an term which is used to describe an organic compound that shows optical activity.In this phenomenon the compound can rotate the plane of polarised light either to right...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago

no they are totally different things. Optically active substances are substances which change the plane of polarisation of ppl light either to left or right. the compound must have...

Abhishek Singh 4 months ago
Does acetyl chloride give iodoform test?and why?

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 4 months ago

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 4 months ago
View all Questions »