Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
8 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
a substance freezes when vapour pressure of its liquid phase equals vapour pressure of its solid phase these are lines from ncert what is the meaning of vapour pressure of solid and why does...

orce exerted by the gas or vapor released by a liquid or solid substance in a closed container or space. Vapor pressure is a relative measure of the tendency to evaporate (volatility),...
  img
Harishwar 9 days ago

but how can solid can have vapour pressure e.g; ice first melts to form liquid then the liquid and vapour comes to equilibrium which exerts pressure. how can solid directly go to vapour in...

rohan 9 days ago
What do you meant by a susstance? Is there any differnce between matter and substance. Explain with an example.

Dear student, We generally define the termmatterfor all ordinary mattercomposed of atoms, and it excludedes phenomena such aslightorsound. We can generalize this concept of matter from atoms...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 months ago

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space(volume). But Substance (specifically chemical substance) is a matter with definite chemical composition. So anything that has mass and...
  img
Ramreddy 2 months ago
what is physical meaning of enthalpy

Enthalpy is a defined thermodynamic potential, designated by the letter "H", that consists of the internal energy of the system (U) plus the product of pressure (p) and volume (V)...
  img
Suraj Prasad 9 days ago
Which of the following hydrocarbons has the lowest dipolemoment? Give explanation. (1) Trans-2-butene (2) 2-butyne (3) 1-butyne (4) But-1-en-3-yne

Dipole moment (μ) is the measure of net molecular polarity, trans 2 butene has a dipole moment of 0 because the presence of each CH3 group on the opposite side cancels each other effect
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

Dipole moment (μ) is the measure of net molecular polarity, trans 2 butene has a dipole moment of 0 because the presence of each CH3 group on the opposite side cancels each other effect
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
what is the differece between ionization potential 1 , ionization potential 2 and ionization potential 3 ??

Ionization potential 1 is the energy reqired to remove the last electron from outer most orbit and IP 2 is energy required to remove the 2 nd elcetron from outer most orbit and IP 3 is...

Sai Pawan 3 months ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

If you will follow the steps you will get the answer. General Steps Step 1:Try to balance the atoms in the equation by inspection, that is, by the standard technique for balancing non-redox...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
May I know the techniques of drawing the lewis structure?

Lewis dot structures shows how the bonding occurs in simple molecules and polyatomic ions in terms of shared e- pairs.Basic steps for writing lewis dot stuctures are as follows:- 1.Add the...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago
View all Questions »