Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                    Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
5 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
H3PO4 ,H3PO3, H3PO2

H3PO2 > H3PO3 > H3PO4 it is an exception to the general rule that higher oxidation state compound will be more acidic like HCLO4, HIO4 and others. you can see the PKa values and...

Vikash Kumar 9 months ago

3,2,1 respectively check out the structure U will find that those having no. Of OH group will contribute to acidity approve by clicking yes below

rishabh 9 months ago

H3PO4>H3PO3>H3PO2

Kaushik 9 months ago
what is mole concept?

Dear student, A Mole is:6.02 x 1023 of anything given quantity. This can also be said that the formula mass in grams of a substance contains one mole of particles. The number of substances...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 days ago
whot is camical bonding

A chemical bond is an attraction between atoms that allows the formation of chemical substances that contain two or more atoms. The bond is caused by the electrostatic force of attraction...
  img
Mukesh Sharma 4 months ago

it defers in matter when uh are in different classes.there are certain forces namely wanderwaal force, dispersion force ,london force,ionic bond covalent bond and dative bond.all the...

yash kulshrestha 4 months ago

Any of several forces, especially the ionic bond, covalent bond, and metallic bond, by which atoms or ions are bound in a molecule or crystal.

Indu 4 months ago
Bragg`s law

the principle that when a beam of X-rays of wavelength ? enters a crystal, the maximum intensity of the reflected ray occurs when sin ? = n ?/2 d , where ? is the complement of the angle of...
  img
Nirmal Singh. 3 months ago

img
Vasantha Kumari 3 months ago

Bragg`s proposed a equation to gave a relationship between the wavelength of x-rays(lambda)and distance(d) and the angle of diffraction.

BAYANA SAGAR 3 months ago
List of all reactions in organic chemistry

Name reactions -Brown Hydroboration, Carbylamine Reaction (Isocyanide Test), Cannizzaro Reaction, Clemmensen Reduction, Coupling Reaction, Rosenmunds Reaction, Riemer-Tiemann Reaction, Fries...
  img
ruchi yadav 4 months ago

Brown Hydroboration, Carbylamine Reaction (Isocyanide Test), Cannizzaro Reaction, Clemmensen Reduction, Coupling Reaction, Rosenmunds Reaction, Riemer-Tiemann Reaction, Fries Rearrangement,...
  img
ruchi yadav 5 months ago

Heres an entire list But learning all this is too much A Abramovitch–Shapiro tryptamine synthesis Acetalisation Acetoacetic ester condensation Achmatowicz reaction Acylation Acyloin...

NANDA 5 months ago
in which of these bond length will be highest?? CH3-CF3 FCH2-CH2F F2CH-CHF2 CF3-CF3

NO is most stable it exists in that form - its Lewis structure is a happy camper CN is least stable it wants to pair up with another free radical - most famously HCN answer is CF3-CF3

G vamsinath reddy 8 months ago

a

Hemprasanth K 8 months ago
View all Questions »