Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
10 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The white ash formed by burning some magnesium ribbon in the gas decomposes on heating with water. a) Identify the white ash and the gas. Explain how these are obtained. b) What are the...

There are other possibilities but the simplest answers: 1. The gas is nitrogen 2. The solid is magnesium nitride Mg3N2 3. The decomposition products are MgO and ammonia....
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

There are other possibilities but the simplest answers: 1. The gas is nitrogen 2. The solid is magnesium nitride Mg3N2 3. The decomposition products are MgO and ammonia....
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

ash= magnesium oxide on adding water gives magnesium hydroxide

parthasarathy one month ago
XY2 dissociates as, XY2(g)= XY(g) + Y(g) (reversible reacyion)..Initial pressure of XY2 is 600 mm Hg.THe total pressure at equlibrium is 800 mm hg.Assuming volume of system to reamin...

XY2(g).............= …...........XY(g) + Y(g) 600mm.............................0...........0......(initially) 600-p..................................p..........p....(at equilibrium)...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago

Kp= (pXY) x (pY)/ (pXY2) XY2 ---------> XY + Y 600 mm 0 0 600 -x x x Total pressure at equillibrium = 600+x = 800 x= 200 Kp= (200 x 200) / 600...
  img
Ramreddy one month ago
for a zero order reaction , K= 1 *10 power -3 mol/lit/sec.If initial conc of the reactant is 1 mol/lit,the conc after 10 min would be.?

For zero order reaction, -d[A]/dt=k* [A] 0 =k, integrating the reaction and putting values of [A] at t=0 and t=10min, we would get the relation, [A] 0 -[A] t =k*t where[A]0= concentration at...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago

thanks sir.

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
Why hydration of metals ar compounds is exothermic reaction ?, Also I need the reason from the moicular structure.

Hello Student, Hydration is the process of solvation of an ion by water molecules. When metals are dissolved in water , they get ionized and the cation formed undergo hydration. Hydration of...
  img
Gaurav 7 hours ago
CO2 is a gas,while silica is a solid.Explain....?

Hi student Gaseous state occurs when there are weaker bonds in between the molecules as compare to the solids where strong bonds are present . Same case is there in case of CO 2 and SiO 2....
  img
Anjali Ahuja one month ago

Co2 is a gas because of its symmetrical shape and it is without polarity whereas SiO2 has different types of bond .it can easily form network bonds and in other words the bonds are polar in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
How to convert ethyne to ethane?

Hydrogentaion of ethyne by raney nickel (H2/Ni) will give ethane.

Shivam 4 months ago

`by heating

neelesh gautam 4 months ago
View all Questions »