Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
11 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Can you please suggest a good book for physical chemistry level of iit jee ?

yes my dear friend very simple and you can have excellent command over physical chemistry step (1)read ncert ( 2)read optandon simultaneously with ncert chapter (3)solve problem from...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago

what you say about ananya ganguly?

harit 5 months ago
what is calomel electrode

It is an electrode made of aqueous solution of mercury and mercury chloride commonly used in cell reactions.

parthasarathy 2 months ago

what is the phase diffence between the two antinode ? and what is the balmer serise ?

ram sham 2 months ago
What is van der waal’s force of attraction?

Van der waal’s forces is the sum of the attractive and the repulsive forces between the molecules of the same compound other than those due to covalent bonds. It’s eqn. is given by :...

Divya Kumari 26 days ago

Van der waal’s forces is the sum of the attractive and the repulsive forces between the molecules of the same compound other than those due to covalent bonds. It’s eqn. is given by :...

Divya Kumari 26 days ago
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

Le Châtelier'sprinciple states that if a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium shifts to counteract the change to reestablish an...
  img
Raheema Javed 2 months ago

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
What is Oxoanion Oxyanion Oxocation Oxycation ?

Oxoanion/Oxyanion:- An oxyanion or oxoanion is a chemical compound with the generic formula AxOyz− (where A represents a chemical element and O represents an oxygen atom). Oxoanions...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

Oxyanion/ Oxoanion – An oxyanion is an anion containing oxygen. Examples : Nitrate (NO3-), Nitrite (NO2-), sulfite (SO32-) and hypochlorite (ClO-) are all oxyanions. Oxycation/...
  img
Raheema Javed 2 months ago
how to read organic chemistry and please tell how to remember organic chemistry

Organic chemistry is simplest part of chemistry, but most of the students will find it very difficult because they do not understand basics . If one understands basics then it is very easy...
  img
Ramreddy 3 months ago

See, first of all you must have a good knowledge of all the reagents i.e what is the effect of those reagents and in what conditions they react and what products are formed. then you just...
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
View all Questions »