Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                    Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
5 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
If a peice of iron gains 10% of its weight due to partial rusting into Fe2O3 the percentage of total iron that has rusted is 23 13 23.3 25.67

4Fe + 3O2----2Fe2O3 let the weight of fe conveerted to fe2o3 be x gm initian total weight be 100gm now weight gain=110gm mole of fe conveerted to fe2o3=4x/56 mole of fe2o3=x/56*2 weight of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 22 hours ago
Temperature of the Fahrenheit scale is 54 F, and what is the fahrenhiet into celsius scale?

C/5=(F-32)/9 C/5=(54-32)/9 =>C/5=22/9 =>C=110/9 Thanks & Regards Rinkoo Gupta AskIITians Faculty
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 3 months ago

C/5=(F-32)/8 C/5=(54-32)/9=22/9 =>C=110/9 Thanks & Regards Rinkoo Gupta AskIITians Faculty
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 3 months ago

C/5=(F-32)/9 =>C/5=(54-32)/9 =>C/5=22/9 =>C=22/9*5 =>C=110/9 =>C=12.12 degree centigrade

sivakrishna 3 months ago
Can the batteries used in torchlights be recharged after their discharge?Give reason.

Iron pole on the beach is little time to oxidation then it gets rust than the iron pole in the sea water ..

Rajesh 3 months ago

Torch lights have primary cells, in this cells redoxreactions occurs only once and can`t be used again.

Rajesh 4 months ago

which of the following is corroded faster?iron pole in sea water or iron pole in the beach

paidy kumar 4 months ago
what is threo isomers???

Dear student, We know that the diastereoisomers arestereoisomersthat are notenantiomers.Though we still use two older prefixes to distinguish between diastereomers, these arethreoanderythro....
  img
Sumit Majumdar 9 days ago
Question to AskIITians tutors. Sir/Mam which is the best way to learn inorganic chemistry as it is mostly memorising. Please reply soon.

Yes inorganic chemistry is memorizing but try to make your concepts clear and learn them while understanding each thing and don't crammed it.In case of properties of various elements learn...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

as i will always suggest to purchase optandon and revise it regularly.do not take it as a burden. thanks and regards sunil kr askIItian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
what is co ordinate number? how it is related to carbon?

Coordination number is the number atoms or ions which immediately surround the cental atom in a molecule or crystal. It can also be defined as the number of atoms bounded to the same cental...
  img
sumit kumar 20 days ago
View all Questions »