Differentiate between Crystalline solids and Amorphous solids?

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Crystalline Solids

Amorphous Solid

1)      They have a regular three dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules due to which they have well defined geometrical shape.

They do not have regular arrangement of particles, therefore do not have well defined particles.

2)      They have long range order

They have short range order

3)      They have sharp melting point i.e., they melt at a particular temperature.

They do not have sharp melting point i.e., they melt over a range of temperature.

4)      They have high and fixed heat of fusion, i.e., high energy is required to melt 1 mole of crystalline solid.

They do not have fixed heat of fusion.

5)      They are anisotropic, i.e., they have different optical and electrical properties in different directions.

They are isotropic, i.e., they have same properties in all directions.

6)      They are true solids, i.e., they show all the characteristic properties of solids.

They are pseudo – solids, i.e., they do not show all the characteristic properties of solids.

5 years ago
                                        Crystalline - (1) are true solids
(2) are those solids in which particles are arranged in regular and peroidic manner in 3-d space
(3) have long range order
(4) can be cut into clean surfaces
(5) are made up of unit cell
(6) have fixed or sharp melting point
(7) have definite value for heat of fusion
(8) are aniisotropic

Amorphous - (1) pseudo solids or supercooled liquids
(2) particles not arranged in regular manner
(3) short range orfer
(4) not made up of unit cell
(5) can not be cut into clean surfaces
(6) do not sharp melting pt , they have melting range
(7) do not have fixed value for heat of fusion
(8) are isotropic
9 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
no of electron in p orbital?

p-orbital is dumb-bell shaped orbital.It is of three types- 1.px – Both lobes pointing towards x-axis. 2. py – Both lobes pointing towards y-axis. 3. pz – Both lobes...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

P-orbital is an outcome of azimuthal quantum number if principal quantum number is greater than 1. If n>= 2 then we will be having p orbital. It has orientaton along x,y and z axis which...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
hello, even though my chemistry tuition is very good and i understand everything that is being taught there at the time, i have not practiced regularly. now i’m pretty worried about my score...

Hi Student, Dont worry. Be positive . Still lot of time is left to practice for IITJee. Follow the following tips. Chemistry is one such subject which can assure you guaranteed marks in IIT...
  img
Harishwar 28 days ago

HI Student Don’t worry. Still you can work hard and get to your target Take one day and divide the whole syllabus into small packets and assign time and make proper timeline. Make...
  img
Harsh Patodia 28 days ago
What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

The word “sugar”is used to represent a group of organic compounds known as carbohydrates i.e. sugar and carbohydrates are same thing. Sugar or carbohydrates are the compounds...
  img
Pankaj 3 months ago
calculate moles of 100g of the electrons

mass of each electron=9.1*10^-31 kg Therefore 9.1*10^-31 kg corresponds to 1 electron 100 gm of electron will correspond to =(1/9.1*10^-31)*(0.1) electron =10^30 *.109 in terms of mole it...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
sir is ARIHANTs inorganic chemistry book good for jee advance preparation

I suggest you to have a combination of NCERT and OPtandon becuase this is the golden combination for inorganic chemistry be it for any compettitve exam.If time permits go for JDLEE.It is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
View all Questions »